We’ve blended together a healthy serving of health information, education and cool stuff for kids.
Children love to discover new things. Now, they have a healthy, fun place to explore and learn – the Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital Greenhouse.
The Greenhouse at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital is a place where groups and families can experience the rewards of growing and eating organic, nutritious fruits and vegetables. During your visit, the only hospital greenhouse farmer in Michigan, Michelle Lutz will teach about:
- Basic plant care
- Current crops being grown
- Design of the Greenhouse, including solar panel, wind turbine and geothermal power
- Different growing systems
- Environmental impact on growing
- Healthy ecosystem support
- Pest management
Additionally, children will experience interactive learning, by:
- Discovering hydroponic systems along with activities kids can do at home
- Exercising on the walking path or practicing yoga in the geothermal field
- Harvesting crops
- Releasing beneficial insects (such as ladybugs)
- Taking a plant walk and discovering edible landscapes
At Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, we believe it is never too early to plant the seeds of good health. Becoming a Farmer for A Day through our Greenhouse is a great way to let your children discover this in an exciting and interactive way.