Henry Ford Diabetes Care Centers are located across southeast Michigan. The staff teaches patients to self-manage diabetes and keep the condition in good control. Whether newly diagnosed or living with diabetes for years, each patient at the Henry Ford Diabetes Care Center receives a personalized self-management plan based on the type of diabetes, current medical condition, and lifestyle.
The team of health care professionals trained and certified in diabetes care includes nurse practitioners, registered nurses, registered dietitians and pharmacists.
At Henry Ford, the Diabetes Care Center team works closely with patients' doctors to improve diabetes management as well as to provide patients easy access to medical care and referrals when needed. Required deductibles and co-pays apply.
Living with diabetes can be a daily juggle of understanding how medication, foods, activity, and stress affects diabetes and blood glucose levels. The Henry Ford Diabetes Care Centers offers a variety of programs designed to help patients understand the condition and improve self-management to live a healthy life and help prevent the serious medical complications of diabetes:
- Diabetes Self-Management Education* Program (DSME): A 10-hour program with personal one-on-one sessions and classroom group-learning sessions focused on the steps for daily self-management of diabetes.
- Diabetes in Active Control Program (DIAC): A six-month personalized, one-on-one diabetes management coaching program with additional help for managing medications, monitoring blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy Program (MNT): A one-on-one session with a registered dietitian to develop a personal meal plan based on each patient's lifestyle as well as follow-up visits to help meet the food plan goals.
- Gestational Diabetes Program (GDM): an individual or small group program for women who develop diabetes during pregnancy. A registered dietitian works with you to take steps toward healthy nutrition for you and your baby.
- Support Groups: Whether you’ve had diabetes for years or just starting out, these informative and relaxed meetings offer assurance to managing the condition. Health care professionals are available to offer encouragement and guidance to the group. Free of charge.
- Let’s Eat Healthy: this program is specifically designed to help your child learn skills for leading a healthier life through meeting with a registered dietitian. It is open to children ages 10-18 that have a weight that is higher than recommended for good health.
If you think one or more of these programs are right for you, ask your doctor for a referral. While many insurance plans are accepted, check with your specific plan for coverage information. Click here to obtain the billing codes to use when you contact your insurance carrier for the specific program(s) you are referred to by your doctor.
If you have a referral from your doctor for any of the Diabetes Care Center programs, please call 313-874-7495 or 1-800-277-2740 to make an appointment. For questions regarding the programs, please call 313-874-7495.
Discover how our Diabetic experts can help you live a full life while managing your diabetes. For more information on how to take part in our programs, call 313-874-7495.