We have plenty of ideas, information and interactive experiences to help you grow, cook and eat better.
With a variety of interesting and innovative programs, patients and community members can come to the Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital Greenhouse to learn about the importance of growing and eating organic, healthy, nutritious fruits and vegetables.
Our Greenhouse is a great field trip destination for school-children and a unique locale for group outings, families and children of all ages. A day at the Greenhouse includes tours, activities, tastings and more, including the following unique programs (perfect for Girl or Boy Scout troops, church, temple, mosque or day care center):
- Greenhouse Open House Hours offers patients, families and the community with the opportunity to come and see what’s growing in the greenhouse, and learn more about our organic, hydroponic growing methods without a reservation or a large or small group.
- Chef for A Day includes information regarding nutrition, mood foods, safety in the kitchen, label reading, activities like making healthy snacks and tasting produce grown in the Greenhouse, and an at-home healthy habit tracking worksheet.
- Farmer for a Day explores basic plant care and harvesting, environmental impact of growing, pest management, solar, wind and geothermal power, activities such as a plant walk and release of beneficial insects (ladybugs), and a plant for children to take home.
- Greenhouse Field Trips are available Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Saturdays and evenings upon request) and range from standard trips to customized field trips.
Children love to explore and learn. Plan a visit to the Greenhouse and discover the rewards of growing and eating organic, nutritious fruits and vegetables. In addition to our programs listed above, we also have:
- Cooking demonstrations
- Educational workshops
- Family activities and day trips, including: how to grow fruits and vegetables at home, making healthy meals fun and exciting, kid-friendly, creative cooking ideas and practical applications of math, science, botany and biology
- Gardening programs for children
- Gardening classes
- Gardening tours
- Patient therapy
- Plant and flower walks
- Seasonal farmer’s market
We hope that in addition to providing the tools for a better quality of life, we can break barriers in wellness education. From workshops to garden clubs, day trips to mood foods, we have something fun for all ages. That's why we encourage educators and community leaders to consider the Greenhouse at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital for their next outing.