The Friends of Vision are the heart of the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology.
Many DIO programs are managed by the Friends of Vision, whose volunteers provide support in several ways, including:
- Assistance with phone call reminders and refreshments for meetings
- Providing transportation to meetings and events
- Escorting members on field trips
- Staffing the Martha F. Gorey Resource Center
- Participating in the Steps for Sight event as part of the Detroit Free Press marathon
- Managing the annual Friends of Vision Raffle and a variety of other fundraising events throughout the year
The key to our success
Behind these and other programs, you will find volunteers who are committed to helping the visually impaired have the highest possible quality of life. Our volunteers take a real interest in our members, often forming lasting personal friendships. The DIO could not survive without the passionate efforts of the Friends of Vision, which continues to be the steadying hand helping the DIO to achieve its goals.
Become a volunteer
New members are always welcome, and dues are just $25 per year. Volunteers have many opportunities to make a difference in the life of the visually impaired. All necessary training is included, and volunteers can choose the activities that best fit their interests and schedules.
For more information or to become a volunteer, call (313) 824-4710.