Few programs across the nation can deliver the kind of team that Henry Ford brings to each patient. We have experts in 20 different cancer specialties, with experience and training that is specific to your type of cancer.
About Henry Ford Cancer Institute
A National Leader in Personalized Cancer Care
Henry Ford Cancer Institute is one of the largest cancer institutions in Michigan, treating more than 8,000 new cancer patients each year. We offer a variety of services to provide the best care for our patients and their families from diagnosis through survivorship, including:
- Cancer Surgery
- Precision Medicine
- Chemotherapy and Medical Oncology
- Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Trials
- Cancer Support Services
More than 1,300 fellowship trained cancer experts, researchers and specialists provide care in our five hospitals and multiple outpatient locations in southeast and south central Michigan. The Henry Ford Cancer Institute is anchored by our flagship Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, which is nationally recognized for clinical excellence and innovation in the of treatment for prostate, brain tumors, breast and lung cancers.
- We have experts in 20 different cancer specialties, with experience and training that is specific to your type of cancer
- We offer 15 multidisciplinary tumor boards and several multidisciplinary clinics.
- Our cancer teams have treated patients from all 50 U.S. states and all continents across the globe.
- In 2017, we provided care to more than 84,000 cancer patients, and recorded more than 7,400 cases.
- We are accredited (link to page) by several renowned professional healthcare organizations that supervise the quality of cancer care, including the Commission on Cancer.
- We grew our total new cancer cases from 5,978 to 7,415 between year-end 2016 and 2017, representing a year-over-year increase of 24 percent.
Patient Care Designed for You
Our mission is to provide world-class, multidisciplinary, and seamlessly integrated precision cancer care to all of our patients -- wherever they encountered the iconic Henry Ford blue sign. As part of that promise, we’re building the Brigitte Harris Cancer Pavilion, a 187,000-square-foot cancer facility in Detroit for ambulatory cancer treatment, precision medicine, clinical trials and research, and enhanced support services for cancer patients.
When it comes to facing cancer, our patients benefit from a strong, unified team approach. Our doctors are specialists in all forms of cancer, from rare conditions to more common. Every patient receives personalized treatment designed specifically for their unique cancer.
We are the only cancer program in Michigan to offer precision medicine testing to all cancer patients. We provide molecular fingerprinting on more than 500 potentially targetable genes in the fight against cancer.
Powered by the success of our recent White House Cancer Moonshot visit – and the selection of Henry Ford by the National Institutes of Health as one of only seven sites in the country leading a molecular genetic "All for Us" screening program – our Precision Medicine Program is quickly becoming the largest program of its kind in the state.
Advanced Clinical Care Education and Training
We are training the next generation of cancer specialists from undergraduate and graduate students, to post-doctoral fellows. Our training extends to educational conferences and annual research symposiums, including those focused on breast, head and neck, urologic, and kidney cancers.
Top-Ranked Cancer Research
Our researchers apply their findings to clinical practice quickly - resulting in new, effective patient treatment. We rank 21st among independent hospitals in the U.S. in funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- Our cancer researchers receive about $35 million in external grants annually
- We host the world’s second-largest brain tumor bank, as well as a significant biorepository for precision medicine.
- We are making significant advances in the following areas: disparities and population health research, prostate cancer, gynecological cancers, brain cancer, radiation oncology, radiology, and drug discovery.
See all that we do in cancer research.