Medical Student Summer Clinical Research Externship Program
Please note this program is only available to Wayne State University Students
Henry Ford Hospital provides a unique opportunity for medical students exiting their first year of training to engage in a research project with a Henry Ford faculty member. The program is designed to allow medical students to gain exposure in clinical research, begin thinking like clinical scientists, and prepare them to successfully achieve participation in national meetings through abstracts and presentations.
- This is a seven-week program (June 1 - July 20, 2017) with up to 20 positions available. Students will apply for one research track: Medicine OR Surgical Research
Internal Medicine, Subspecialties and Emergency Track includes research associated with the prevention, evaluation, and management in the following areas: Allergy and Immunology, Cardiology, Endocrinology Gastroenterology, General Internal Medicine, Hematology, Infectious Disease, Nephrology, Oncology, Pulmonology, Rheumatology and Sports Medicine; other programs include Neurology and Radiology.
- General Surgery, Subspecialties, and Anesthesia Track includes research associated with the evaluation and surgical management in the following areas: Abdominal organ, skin, breast, soft tissue, vascular system, head and neck, trauma and surgical intensive care. Subspecialties within general surgery include plastic, pediatric, colorectal, transplant, vascular, and cardiothoracic surgery. Other surgical disciplines include urology, otolaryngology (ENT), neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedic surgery, and anesthesia.
The selection process will be made by the HFH directors based on the medical student’s application, description of previous research and support from the WSUSOM Student Affairs Office. Once selected, each student will rank available IRB-approved research projects to indicate preferences. Students may be able to shadow their assigned mentor to continue work on the project following completion of the Summer Research Externship Program.
Students will be provided feedback and advice on an informal basis by their research project mentor and by their directors at the end of their presentation. Each student will also be expected to evaluate their mentor and the program.
Application & requirements
Applications are DUE: February 27, 2017. Students participating in the Externship Program are provided, upon successful completion of the program, a stipend of $2,625 for the seven-week commitment. To apply, participate and receive a stipend, the medical student is expected to:
- Complete application and attach:
- A current CV
- A personal statement describing previous research experience and/or why you would like to participate in this program (should be limited to one page)
- Student does not qualify if there were a course failure
- Fully participate and attend the entire seven-week program (no vacations are allowed during this period)
- Make a formal presentation of their project at the end of the externship (HFH Summer Research Externship Forum)
- Make a formal presentation at the WSU SOM Medical Student Research Symposium (January 2018)
- Students are strongly encouraged to participate in the HFH Medical Education Research Forum (February 2018)
Questions may be directed to: JoAnna Moore, Medical Education Specialist at (313) 916-1465 or via email.
Joseph Miller, M.D.