Southbound I-75 to close between Detroit and Downriver for two years
In February 2017, southbound I-75 will be closed from Springwells Street in Detroit to North Line Road in Southgate for major repairs. This estimated two-year, $165 million project will leave northbound I-75 open to traffic.
In 2018, when MDOT shifts to work on the northbound lanes, northbound traffic coming in to Detroit will shift to the southbound lanes.
We apologize for the inconvenience this construction project may cause. We hope to make your commute to and from Henry Ford medical facilities as smooth and as easy as possible.
Drivers from downtown Detroit can take 96 to the 275 interchange in Plymouth, then 275 south to 75 in Monroe. A detour for local access is available by taking the Fort Street exit.
You can reference the project website, www.75rougeriver.com for alternate route options. Alternate routes include I-94, M-85 (Fort Street), Jefferson Avenue and Dix Highway.
Please give yourself extra time for commuting and call ahead to your doctor’s office if running late. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we look forward to continuing to serve you.
The project includes:
- Removing and replacing the concrete surface on the I-75 Rouge River Bridge, the bridge with the largest concrete surface area in Michigan.
- Removing and replacing the concrete surface on the two Dearborn Street ramp bridges adjacent to the Rouge River Bridge, as well as at the Fort Street bridge just north of the Rouge River Bridge.
- Removing and replacing the bridges carrying I-75 over Goddard Road and the drain north of Goddard Road.
- Overhauling 13 other bridges along I-75 through the Downriver communities.
- Adding intelligent transportation system (ITS) equipment, which includes electronic signs, cameras, and traffic information gathering equipment to help MDOT communicate to drivers about travel times, safety, and mobility issues.
- Pavement patching on northbound and southbound I-75 between the Rouge River and Goddard Road.
View the maps below for information about detour routes