Black Bean Brownies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes (Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Medium
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons pureed canned black beans*
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons dried cherries or raisins
*Instead of black beans, the following can be substituted (all 3T each): pureed prunes (baby food), canned pumpkin puree, pureed boiled beets.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line mini muffin pan with liners.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oil and beans. Add in sugar, cocoa, salt, flax seed and vanilla. Mix well. Add the egg and stir.
- Stir in flours until just combined then stir in walnuts and cherries.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly distribute batter. Bake about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Yield: 12 mini muffins
- 109 Calories
- 5g Fat
- 2g Protein
- 16g Carbohydrate
- 2g Dietary Fiber
- 18g Cholesterol
- 42mg Sodium