Caribbean Pumpkin Soup with Tomato Okra and Chicken
- Coconut oil for cooking
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces frozen chopped okra
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 6 kale leaves, tough ribs removed, leaves chopped or roughly torn into small pieces
- 1/2 pound chicken thighs or breast (thigh is more flavorful), preferably free-range, cut into small cubes
- Melt a generous spoonful of the coconut oil in a large soup pot, then add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat or just until the onions are turning translucent.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, tomatoes, and okra and increase heat to high to bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, reduce heat to medium and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the kale has reached its desired tenderness and the chicken is opaque and cooked through.
- Serve immediately. Leftover soup can be refrigerated for 4 days or frozen for 2 months.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Lisa Howard. For more information please visit: www.theculturedcook.com
Yield: 4 servings