Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes (Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Medium
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8oz turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried Italian seasonings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 can (28oz) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 green zucchini squash, diced
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock + 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz whole wheat pasta (broken lasagna noodles or any curly shape)
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until soft. Add sausage, using wooden spoon to break into pieces. Cook over medium heat until almost cooked through, add garlic and sauté additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, stock, water and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook until noodles are al dente.
- Add spinach and cheese, stir and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
- 293 Calories
- 7g Fat
- 2g Saturated Fat
- 42g Carbohydrate
- 7g Fiber
- 18g Protein
- 10%DV Calcium
- Sodium varies depending upon broth
- Excellent source of Vitamin A and Iron