Smoked Mac and Cheese
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Give this award winning Mac & Cheese recipe a try, it was awarded "Best Entree" at the 2015 Men Who Cook event. Keep in mind the recipe below was used to feed several 100 people, when making it at home you will need to adjust the quantities of ingredients.
Warning: This is going to be messy and require a large bowl or pot to mix it in.
- 2 quarts of Half and Half
- 2 sticks of butter (I prefer unsalted because the cheeses are very salty)
- 2 pounds of Elbow Macaroni (I use Barilla, it has a better texture)
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- ½ tablespoon of pepper
- 1 small pinch of parsley (this is optional, if you want it use it, if not, it does not really change anything)
- 12 eggs
- 1 box Cheez-Its
- The Cheeses
- 2 ½ cups of Sharp Yellow Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 ½ cups of Mozzarella cheese (Shredded)
- 1 cup of Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 cup of Jalapeno Jack Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 cup of Muenster Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 cup of Asiago Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 cup of Apple Smoked Gruyere Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 (16oz) pack of Velveeta (Cubed)
- Cook the elbow macaroni until tender
- Melt the butter in the microwave
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, add the butter, and all but ½ quart of the half and half. Whisk together
- Add cubed Velveeta, with a mashed potato masher or a whisk blend the Velveeta into the mixture
- Add the macaroni mix it all up
- Add all the cheeses and mix (leave a ½ cup of the yellow cheddar cheese to the side for later)
- Add salt and pepper keep mixing
- It is going to look like a hot mess but keep mixing and then add parsley and remaining half and half
- Grease your pan and set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the hot mess into the pan, sprinkle remaining sharp yellow cheddar cheese on top of it evenly
- Crush Cheez-It’s in a bowl and add melted butter until there is a thick consistency. Spread this over the mac and cheese. This will be your crust.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour, or until golden brown!!
FYI: The perfect size foil pan to bake it in 16 5/8in x 11 7/8in x 2 5/8in