This animated explanation of the HIPEC procedure shows how we combine surgery, heat and chemotherapy to treat cancers that spread to the lining of the abdomen.Learn More
Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
A comprehensive, effective program for metastatic cancers.
Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, or HIPEC, is a heated chemotherapy that is administered after cytoreductive cancer (tumor-removing) surgery to treat cancers that spread to the lining of the abdomen.
This innovative, aggressive treatment targets and destroys microscopic cancer cells that cannot be seen by the human eye. Destroying these cells can prevent them from later coming back as new cancer tumors.
HIPEC can be an effective option for certain cancers that spread to the lining of your abdomen, including, but not limited to:
- Appendix cancers
- Colorectal cancers
- Gastric cancers
- Certain gynecologic cancers, including ovarian cancer
As we do for all our patients, your treatment is specifically tailored to your individual condition. Your multidisciplinary cancer care team will discuss with you the treatment options and determine with you the best approach.
HIPEC treatment at the Henry Ford Cancer Institute was championed by the vision and generosity of Lindsey and Brett Finsilver, along with many of their family members and friends.
Advantages of HIPEC treatment
HIPEC is a two-pronged treatment approach: Cytoreductive surgery is first performed to remove visible cancer cells in the abdominal cavity. The abdominal cavity is then “bathed” with heated chemotherapy for approximately two hours.
This method of chemotherapy has several advantages:
- Enhances the chemotherapy’s absorption in the abdominal area
- Minimizes the rest of the body’s exposure to chemotherapy
- Directly targets microscopic cancer cells that are not visible to the human eye
Why choose Henry Ford for your HIPEC treatment
As a national leader in cancer care, we are often one of the first or only cancer programs in Michigan to provide emerging treatments, clinical trials and options for patients with the most advanced, rare cancers. HIPEC is an example of an advanced treatment program we now offer that is extending and saving lives.
We tailor your cancer care to your unique, individual needs. Fellowship trained surgical oncologists from prestigious, high volume HIPEC centers lead the multidisciplinary HIPEC program. More than a procedure, our comprehensive HIPEC program features one unified team built all around you.
The Henry Ford HIPEC team includes more than 30 members, with specialists from:
- Surgical Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology, Colorectal Surgery, Thoracic Surgery
- Medical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Radiology and Pathology
Our comprehensive HIPEC program provides:
- Comprehensive review of your unique cancer in weekly multidisciplinary tumor boards.
- An appointment for a comprehensive evaluation within 72 hours.
- A dedicated nurse navigator, who serves as your main point of contact and ensures a timely consultation, helps you and your family understand your personalized care plan, and helps steer you through the entire cancer journey.
- Supportive Cancer Services, including financial navigation, nutritional support, psychology, and integrative medicine.
- Extensive care after your procedure, including nurse home care, physical and occupational therapy, wound care, ostomy management, and other services as needed.