Bone Density With CT
A Bone Density Study helps diagnose osteoporosis (bone thinning). Scans of your lower back, hip, or forearm are taken to measure the amount of calcium (density) in your bones. Calcium is the mineral that makes up your bones.
- You will lie on a table or sit.
- Your lower legs may be raised on a platform.
- A scanner arm moves back and forth over the part of your body being scanned.
- Remain still and do not talk during the scan.
- This procedure will take about 30 minutes.
- No calcium 24 hours prior to appointment.
- If you wear clothing with no metal you may not be required to change for the appointment.
- Arrive 15-30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time with a prescription if your doctor has given you one.
- Bring your list of medications.
- It is advised that you perform your bone density exam at the same location as your previous bone density exam(s).