Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Division Head: Michael Eichenhorn, M.D.
We are one of Michigan’s leaders in diagnosing and treating PH. Our compassionate, collaborative team offers exceptional care, including:
- National accreditation: Fewer than 50 hospitals in the U.S. have earned PHA accreditation as a Center of Comprehensive Care. The rigorous accreditation process ensures that we meet the highest standards of care. Our treatments are based on scientific evidence, and we continually research new options to improve patients’ health. Only the highest quality, most comprehensive centers receive this accreditation.
Henry Ford’s comprehensive ILD program is one of few in the region recognized as a Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation Care Center providing excellence in ILD care. We use a recommended multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and care of patients living with ILD. Medications, rehabilitation, clinical trials and lung transplant in select cases offer hope for our patients with ILD and PF. Here, you’ll find:
- Team care for ILD: Patients evaluated in the Henry Ford Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic undergo a thorough history and physical exam. In the ILD Multidisciplinary Conference, our pulmonologists (lung specialists) review each patient’s case with radiologists (experts in imaging) and pathologists (doctors who study tissue in the lab) to reach a diagnosis and individualized treatment recommendations. Bringing multiple experts to your case means we consider a wide range of treatment options. We also work with our interventional pulmonologists and thoracic surgeons to offer bronchoscopy and/orsurgical lung biopsy when necessary and safe. Meet our pulmonary team.
- Specialized ILD expertise: We specifically treat and understand ILD. That means we’re up to date on the latest treatments, including studies on new medication therapies for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Pulmonary and Rheumatology Clinic: For select patients with a rheumatologic condition in need of a second opinion, we offer evaluation in our Rheumatology-ILDClinic. You’ll see an ILD specialist and Rheumatologist during one office visit. With both specialists in the room, we can answer specific questions for you and your primary pulmonologist or rheumatologist.
- Research and clinical trials: We engage in research to help develop and test new medications for people with ILD. Henry Ford also offers numerous clinical trials for aspects of health that can be related to ILD. Learn more about clinical trials.
- Transplant center: Henry Ford provides lung transplantation for some people with the most advanced ILD. Patients benefit from having all their care in one health system.