Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine Division
Division Head: Bruno DiGiovine, M.D., M.P.H.
With more than 30 faculty and 20 fellows in pulmonary and critical care training, our Division staff oversees the largest medical ICU in the state at Henry Ford Hospital and provides comprehensive outpatient services for complex lung and airways disease including interventional pulmonology and clinical trial therapies. The Division’s Sleep Center is among the country’s most advanced in clinical and research therapies.
- Pulmonary Medicine: Our pulmonologists offer multidisciplinary clinics for interstitial lung disease (ILD), pulmonary hypertension, sarcoidosis, and lung transplantation.
- Interventional Pulmonology: Interventional pulmonologists provide the full scope of services for lung cancer, airways cancer and other complex airways disease, pulmonary nodules, and complicated asthma. Services include autofluorescence bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound, transbronchial needle aspiration biopsy, rigid and flexible biopsy techniques, percutaneous needle biopsy, and single and bilateral whole lung lavage.
- Medical ICU: At Henry Ford Hospital’s 68-bed MICU, our team has special expertise in the most complex cases including severe ARDS, pneumonia, sepsis, renal and hepatic failure, and multi-system organ failure.
- Lung Transplant: The Division’s lung transplant specialists are part of the multi-organ Henry Ford Transplant Institute. The lung transplant program offers single- and double-lung transplantation.
- Sleep Medicine: The Sleep Disorders Research Center at Henry Ford Hospital, the first of its kind in the U.S. when founded in 1978, conducts research on all major sleep disorders. Separate bedroom laboratories are available for clinical and sleep research purposes.
Education and research
We have one of the largest education programs with over 20 fellows in various forms of Pulmonary and/or Critical Care Medicine training. We were one of the first programs in the country to offer a combined Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine/Critical Care Medicine training program. The fellowship works closely and in conjunction with the accredited program in Internal Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital.
Research is ongoing within the disciplines of pulmonary medicine, critical care medicine, interventional pulmonology, and sleep medicine. Projects include novel therapies for COPD, markers for sepsis and sepsis management, and endobronchial valve placement for minimally invasive lung volume reduction. Our research focus ranges from disease screening, prevention and management to health outcomes, disparities in care, and health economics.