- American Board of Surgery - Surgery
- Marshall University at Cabel Huntington Hospital, WV, 2006
Residencies & Internships
- Charleston Area Medical Center, General Surgery, WV, 2011
- University of Michigan, Surgery Branch, MI, 2012
Member of the Henry Ford Cancer Institute
Every patient is different. I think it is important to treat the patients like they are real people; like you're treating them as a person and not treating just their disease. You're connecting with them.
Dr. Bensenhaver is a breast cancer surgeon specializing in benign and malignant breast diseases. Her research focuses on socioeconomic, geographic, and ethnicity-related variation in breast cancer, and features an outreach breast health program in both Africa and Haiti. She received her medical degree from Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, and completed a fellowship in breast oncology at U-M. At Henry Ford Health System, she is the Associate Director of the Breast Oncology Program and the International Center for Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes (ICSBCS), as well as the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology PI.
Socioeconomic, geographic, and ethnicity related variation in breast cancer risk and outcome.
- Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative. May 2012 – December 2015
- MI-Ghana Collaborative: Surgical, Medical, Academic Exchange. February 2012 – ongoing
- Multiethnic Breast Registry. Lisa Newman (PI), Jessica Bensenhaver (Co-I). 2006 – ongoing
- MI-Haiti Collaborative: Surgical and Medical Oncology Project. May 2013 - ongoing
- University of Michigan Molecular and clinical determinants of aggressive cancers worldwide. Sofia Merajver (PI), Jessica Bensenhaver (Co-I). 2013 – 2015
- Understanding the Health Research Priorities among Haitian Community Members. Jennifer Griggs (PI), Jessica Bensenhaver (Co-I). March 2014 – ongoing
- Understanding the Health Research Priorities and Interests of Haitian Nurses and Nursing Students. March 2014 – ongoing
Awards and Honors:
August 2002 - Cum Laude, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
May 2008 - First Place, Resident Trauma Research Paper Competition, West Virginia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Research Competition. White Sulfur Springs, WV.
May 2011 - Second Place, Resident Trauma Research Paper Competition, West Virginia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Research Competition. Charleston, WV.
2013-2014 - Nominee, Clinical Kaiser Permanente Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Breast cancer surgeon Dr. Jessica Bensenhaver shares common breast cancer myths she hears - some of which can be dangerous - and offers a reality check on them.
More breast cancer screening recommendations mean more confusion for women, particularly those in their 40s, about when to begin regular mammograms.
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospital - Clinton Township
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital
- Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital