- American Board of Surgery - Surgery
- Marshall University at Cabel Huntington Hospital, WV, 2006
Residencies & Internships
- Charleston Area Medical Center, General Surgery, WV, 2011
- University of Michigan, Surgery Branch, MI, 2012
Member of the Henry Ford Cancer Institute
Jessica M. Bensenhaver, MD, MS is a surgical breast oncologist who specializes in benign and malignant breast diseases. Her research focuses on socioeconomic, geographic and ethnicity-related variation in breast cancer, and features an outreach breast health program in both Africa and Haiti. You can learn more in her research section, found below.
She graduate Cum Laude from James Madison University in Virginia and received her medical degree from Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine - Marshall University. She then completed a general surgical residency at West Virginia University Charleston Division, followed by a fellowship in breast oncology at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. She completed a Master of Science Degree in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis through the University of Michigan's School of Public Health.
- Director, Breast Oncology Program
- Director, Breast Oncology Multidisciplinary Fellowship
- Research Director, International Center for Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes (ICSBCS)
- Institutional PI, Alliance Group for Clinical Trials in Oncology
"Every patient is different. I think it is important to treat the patients like they are real people; like you're treating them as a person and not treating just their disease. You're connecting with them."
- Understanding the Health Research Priorities among Haitian Community Members. Jennifer Griggs (PI), Jessica Bensenhaver (Co-I). (March 2014 – Ongoing)
- Understanding the Health Research Priorities and Interests of Haitian Nurses and Nursing Students. (March 2014 – Ongoing)
- MI-Haiti Collaborative: Surgical and Medical Oncology Project. (May 2013 - Ongoing)
- MI-Ghana Collaborative: Surgical, Medical, Academic Exchange. (February 2012 – Ongoing)
- Multiethnic Breast Registry. Lisa Newman (PI), Jessica Bensenhaver (Co-I). (2006 – Ongoing)
- University of Michigan Molecular and clinical determinants of aggressive cancers worldwide. Sofia Merajver (PI), Jessica Bensenhaver (Co-I). (2013 – 2015)
- Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative. (May 2012 – December 2015)
Awards and Honors
- 2013-2014 - Nominee, Clinical Kaiser Permanente Award for Excellence in Teaching.
A breast cancer surgeon shares the risk factor that every woman should know about--and explains what you can do to reduce your breast cancer risk.
More breast cancer screening recommendations mean more confusion for women, particularly those in their 40s, about when to begin regular mammograms.
Breast cancer surgeon Dr. Jessica Bensenhaver shares common breast cancer myths she hears - some of which can be dangerous - and offers a reality check on them.
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospital - Clinton Township
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital
- Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital