Wound, Ostomy and Continence Care at Home
Henry Ford Home Health Care's wound, ostomy and continence (WOC) program provides clinical and consultative services to patients and their caregivers in their homes. This service is provided by a certified wound, ostomy and continence nurse (CWOCN). The CWOCN may also act as a liaison between the patient, staff and ordering physician.
The wound, ostomy and continence nurse will assess and manage:
- Acute and chronic wounds
- Skin breakdown
- Fecal and/or urinary incontinence
- Ostomies and continent diversions
- Evaluation of patients for appropriate and efficient use of specialty beds
- Plan of care for patients with altered skin integrity due to pressure injuries, drainage or incontinence
Who can benefit from the consultative services of a wound, ostomy and continence nurse?
- Ostomy patients with peristomal skin complications
- Ostomy patients who require more than two pouch changes weekly
- Patients with continent diversions requiring teaching
- Wound care patients requiring debridement
- Wound care patients who have failed to progress after two weeks of therapy
What can the patient expect?
- Adjunctive wound care – negative pressure wound therapy, debridement management, offloading, and compression therapy
- Diabetic foot care
- Ostomy management – patient and caregiver teaching, product recommendation and selection, treatment of continence-related skin problems, and ongoing support
- Wound management – consultation, wound assessment, pressure ulcer injury prevention plan and follow up, product recommendation and selection, and patient family education