EyesOn Design Awards at the North American International Auto Show
Honoring the best production and concept cars making their North American or worldwide debut.
EyesOn Design Awards are the officially-sanctioned design awards for the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). They honor the best production and concept vehicles making their worldwide auto show debut in Detroit.
The awards are prominently displayed in design studios around the world and are merchandised as industry validation of great design.
The recipients of the 2017 EyesOn Design Awards for Design Excellence were decided by votes from active and retired automotive design leaders at NAIAS.
Why does an eye institute present awards?
The Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology knows that it is only with good vision that a person can fully appreciate the beauty of good design. The DIO takes part in the event in part to celebrate this focus on design, and also to raise money to support its goal of assisting and educating the visually impaired – helping them to maintain independence and dignity, while learning how to live a satisfying and productive life in a sighted world.
However, the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology also has a more direct link to automotive-related issues. It is a world leader in facilitating collaborative research related to the eye. This includes two biennial research congresses, one of which (The Eye, The Brain & The Auto) explores the relationship between vision and the safe operation of a motor vehicle.
The judges are global design leaders from major domestic, Asian and European OEMs. The panel includes the professors of design from the most influential academic automotive design programs, and a team of leaders from independent design studios.
In addition, from this group, three or four Chief Judges are selected by Thomas Gale, Founding Chairman of the EyesOn Design Awards at the North American International Auto Show, to represent design from a broad perspective. With these three internationally renowned leaders, the judging process is ensured to be fair and the credibility and importance of the award-winning vehicle designs is easily recognized by the automotive design community.
The EyesOn Design Awards at the North American International Auto Show went to:
- Nissan V Motion 2.0- Concept Car- presented by Dassault Systemes
- 2018 Kia Stinger - Production Car- presented by Lacks Enterprises
- VW Buzz 1.0 - Concept Truck- presented by Henry Ford Health System
- Nissan V Motion 2.0 - Innovative Use of Color, Graphics and Materials - presented by Axalta Coating Systems
- Lexus LS - Interior Design - presented by ABC Group Inc.
- 2018 BMW 5 Series - Best Designed User Experience - presented by HFHS Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology
- John Reinhart - Designer Catalyst Award - presented by HFHS Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology
All EyesOn Design awards are made of optical crystal of great purity with a very high index of refraction. Like the eye itself, these awards transmit and refract light in a spectacular manner.
Special thanks to sponsors of the EyesOn Design Awards at the North American International Auto Show
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Production Car
Sponsored by: Lacks Enterprises
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence - Concept Truck
Sponsored by: Henry Ford Health System
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence - Production Truck
Sponsored by: Henry Ford Health System
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Concept Car
Sponsored by: Dassault Systèmes
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence - Designer Catalyst Award
Sponsored by: HFHS Department of Ophthalmology
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Innovative Use of Color, Graphics, and Materials
Sponsored by: Axalta Coating Systems
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence - Interior Design
Sponsored by: ABC Group
- EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence - Best Designed User Experience
Sponsored by: HFHS Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology