Lung cancer screening has shown that we can detect cancer much earlier in people most at risk.
What to Expect
When you choose Henry Ford Health System for your pulmonary (lung) care, you’re making the right choice. Our expert lung disease team is a national leader in groundbreaking research and top-notch care. We integrate the latest treatments and technologies in your personalized healthcare plan.
Our lung treatments
Our services and treatments can help you manage your symptoms and get back to a healthy, more active life. People with lung conditions come to Henry Ford for diagnosis, care or a second opinion. We offer everyone a thorough evaluation and treatment.
We individualize care for your unique needs. Our care often includes:
- Lung function testing: We use lung function testing to establish a baseline. Testing — performed in our Pulmonary Physiology Laboratory — tells us about your breathing and ability to do daily activities. During treatment, you may return for more pulmonary function tests.
- Physician visit: At your first appointment with a lung specialist, your doctor will:
- Review your lung function testing and other test results such as X-rays and CT scans
- Discuss your symptoms, family history, previous treatment and goals
- Order additional tests as needed
- Short wait times: We schedule lung function testing and the physician appointment on the same day. We see the majority of our patients within two weeks of the request.
- Easy communication: You can call us or use MyChart — your online patient portal — to make appointments and get test results. That means that when you’re short of breath, you don’t have to come in just to touch base. MyChart lets you securely communicate with your health team with an app or website. Meet our pulmonary team.
- Help managing medications: Our respiratory pharmacist can meet with you to help manage your medications. This specially trained pharmacist understands inhalers, steroids and the many other complex medications that help people live with lung conditions.
The resources you need
When you have a diagnosis, we’ll use all of the appropriate tools to take care of you. We have many resources, along with the expertise to use them effectively, to treat even the most complicated conditions. Learn more about our:
- Advanced medical, interventional and surgical therapies: From lung volume reduction surgery to lung transplant, we offer many treatment options. Find out more about our lung treatments.
- Minimally invasive options: We use state-of-the-art technology for diagnosis and treatment. Our options include less-invasive interventional procedures, which let doctors access your lungs without surgery. Learn about our interventional pulmonology center and bronchoscopy suite.
- Programs for complex lung conditions: We offer specialized programs to provide customized care to people with sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, lung cancer and other lung diseases. This tailored care offers the best opportunity to improve your quality of life. Learn more about lung conditions we treat.
- Special inpatient lung floor and Michigan’s largest intensive care unit: At Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, we offer a unique intensive care unit (ICU) designed for patients with lung disease or injury. Our pulmonary critical care team has years of expertise supporting people in very serious condition. Read more about critical care.
- Pulmonary clinical trial therapies: Our pulmonary specialists are always engaged in clinical research to advance patient care. Your treatment options may include brand-new therapies that aren’t available elsewhere. Search for clinical trials.