Henry Ford occupational therapists help adults and children who've suffered an illness or injury develop or restore skills necessary for independence at home, school and work. Common conditions that benefit from occupational therapy include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress disorders
- Hand, wrist and elbow soft tissue injuries
- Fractures, dislocations and tendon lacerations
- Stroke, Parkinson's disease and other neurological disorders
Treatment is based on the patient's individual needs and goals. It begins with a comprehensive physical and cognitive evaluation, followed by a customized treatment plan.
Most often, occupational therapy focuses on improving gross motor, fine motor, visual motor or sensory processing skills—abilities needed to dress, eat, bathe, use a computer or remember and dial a phone number. In some cases, a home or work visit may be involved, which allows the occupational therapist to recommend helpful adaptive devices.
Specialized occupational therapy services provided by Henry Ford include:
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Hand therapy
- Upper extremity splinting
- Ergonomic assessment and treatment
- Arthritis management
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Low vision therapy