Early intervention to help your recovery journey
Early intervention has been shown to help improve long-term physical and cognitive function, so you’ll begin physical and occupational rehabilitation at your bedside or in the Acute Stroke Unit's designated therapy room at Henry Ford Macomb and West Bloomfield hospitals. After discharge, you may continue rehabilitation with outpatient stroke therapies or be referred to inpatient rehabilitation centers.
Support for stroke patients and caregivers
For those who have had a stroke -- recent or not -- and caregivers, Henry Ford offers various opportunities and resources to connect with others in similar situations and access any additional help you need. These groups include:
- Downriver Stroke Club: This club is for individuals who have had a stroke – recent or not – and for those who care for them. Different topics are discussed at each meeting, and scheduled events may include education, guest speakers, emotional support and recreational activities. The group meets from 4:30 to 6 p.m. the first Monday of every other month starting in February at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital. To learn more about the Downriver Stroke Club, call (734) 246-9007.
- Super Survivor Stroke Group: This group is offered to all stroke victims and caregivers. The group gives you access to guest speakers, educational resources, entertainment, outings, socialization and support from others in similar situations. Meetings are held from 12:30 to 2 p.m. on the third Friday every month at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital in the rehab conference room. To learn more about the Super Survivor Stroke Group, call (586) 263-2498.
- New Beginnings Aphasia Support Group: The New Beginnings Aphasia Support Group is offered to stroke victims who have difficulty speaking. If you or your loved one has aphasia, this group gives you a chance to gather with others to practice speaking skills and become more educated on aphasia. Meetings are held from 10 a.m. to noon every Friday at Macomb ISD (44001 Garfield in Clinton Twp.). To learn more about this group, call (586) 726-2848 or (586) 263-2498.
- Caregiver Support Group: If you are a caregiver, know that you are not alone. The Caregiver Support Group is offered for all caregivers, family members and friends of those who have experienced a stroke or disabling injury. This group offers encouragement, suggestions, moral support and educational information. The group meets once a month. To learn more about this group, call (586) 247-2503 or (586) 412-7146.
- Stroke Retreat: For one weekend each year, Henry Ford offers a stroke retreat for stroke patients and their caregivers. The 2017 camp will take place in October at Camp Faholo in Grass Lake, Michigan, and will include a variety of activities such as support group sessions, crafts, education sessions, free time and more. Stay tuned for registration information to be posted in June!