Erectile dysfunction (ED) is more common than you may think. At least 50 percent of men between the ages of 40 and 70 experience ED. Unfortunately, many men avoid seeking help.
At Henry Ford Men’s Health Center, our specialists use the latest techniques to restore erectile dysfunction. Our effective, proven treatments can help you return to a full and satisfying sexual life.
What causes erectile dysfunction?
Men experience erectile dysfunction for different reasons. Common causes include:
- High blood pressure: Getting an erection requires strong blood flow to the penis. High blood pressure, and some of the medications used to treat it, can decrease blood flow.
- High cholesterol: This is the only risk factor for up to 40 percent of men with ED. A buildup of cholesterol in the blood can block blood flow.
- Heart disease: Hardening of the arteries (also called atherosclerosis) can cause decreased blood flow.
- Diabetes: Diabetes may affect nerve function and blood flow to the penis. When the penis isn’t receiving the proper nerve signals or enough blood, it’s difficult to achieve an erection.
- Anxiety: Sometimes ED results from emotional issues. Anxiety or stress can release hormones that affect your ability to have an erection.
- Pelvic surgery: Prostate, colorectal or bladder surgery may damage or weaken muscles, nerves, and blood vessels in the penis. Strong muscles, nerves and vessels are necessary to achieve an erection.
- Age: Muscles inside the penis naturally decline as you get older. Weaker muscles can make it more difficult to achieve an erection.
How we treat erectile dysfunction
Our highly trained urologists at the Henry Ford Men’s Health Center expertly treat men with erectile dysfunction. We work with endocrinologists, cardiologists and therapists to provide you with a personalized treatment plan. We can restore erectile function in a majority of men using one or more of the latest techniques, including:
- Oral medication: If you have a slight decline in muscle function, blood flow or nerve function, oral medication may help you achieve erections. These drugs work by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Injections: If oral medication alone isn’t sufficient, your doctor may recommend penile injections. We use a painless mixture of medications to improve blood flow to the penis.
- Vacuum erectile devices (VED): In more severe cases, your doctor may prescribe a VED. This customized, cylindrical pump fits over your penis. When you operate the pump, it helps bring blood to the penis to create an erection.
- Penile implants: If other treatments don’t successfully treat ED, a penile implant may be an option. Our highly skilled surgeons use minimally invasive techniques to implant a device in the penis. The prosthesis allows you to achieve an erection despite any damage to the muscle and nerves in the penis.
Erectile dysfunction doesn’t mean an end to your satisfying sex life. Our effective treatments can successfully restore full sexual function.