- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology - Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Howard University, DC, 1976
Residencies & Internships
- Wayne State University, OB/GYN, MI, 1980
Titles: Vice President of Physician Outreach, Henry Ford Hospital
Dr. Richard E. Smith has been a member of the Henry Ford Medical Group for more than 39 years. He has served as the chair of the Board of Governors, as a trustee of Henry Ford Health System and as the 144th president of the Michigan State Medical Society/AMA. He is currently the vice president of Physician Outreach for Henry Ford Hospital and chair emeritus of the System's Diversity Council.
In 2013, Dr. Smith received the Henry Ford Medical Group's Fred W. Whitehouse Distinguished Service Award. In 2015, the Henry Ford Hospital Medical Association honored him at the 100th Anniversary during the Henry Ford Medical Association Jubilee. Dr. Smith received the Distinguished Career Award for demonstrating "outstanding service and commitment to our mission to promote research, education and exemplary patient care."
Dr. Smith attended University of Michigan and the College of Medicine at Howard University, where he received Alpha Omega Alpha honors. He began his residency at the age of 23. He completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Wayne State University. During his career, Dr. Smith has been active in local, state and national efforts to improve prenatal care for teenage mothers.
Dr. Smith began his career at Henry Ford Hospital in 1980 as director of Adolescent & Pediatric Gynecology where he helped establish the March of Dimes' national model for prenatal care services. The outcome data from Henry Ford Adolescent Program was helpful in creating prenatal care as a basic health service in state of Michigan.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Henry Ford Medical Group's Fred W. Whitehouse Distinguished Service Award
- University of Michigan Medical School's Outstanding Teaching Award
- Wayne State University School of Medicine's Excellence in Teaching Award
- US Congressional Tribute: "Honored for his work to improve the overall health of the residents of Michigan.
- March of Dimes Award
- Hour Detroit Magazine's "Top Docs" (15 years)
- City of Detroit's Spirit of Detroit Award
Outside of the System, Dr. Smith co-chaired the Perinatal Regionalization task force commissioned by the Michigan Legislature. He is a strong voice for the Quality of Women's Health Care and worked to pass the Healthy Michigan Legislature (ACA) and Michigan's Smoke-Free Air Law. He was appointed by Congress to the Physician Advisory Council and is an emeritus board member of the March of Dimes and the Board of Governors of the Cranbrook Institute of Science.
Henry Ford Medical Center-New Center One
- Henry Ford Hospital