- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Orthopedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Sports Medicine
- Harvard Medical School, MA, 2010
Residencies & Internships
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus, Orthopaedic Surgery, NY, 2015
- Rush University Rush Medical College, Sports Medicine, IL, 2016
Titles: Assistant Director, Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgery Fellowship
Dr. Makhni is a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon and team physician for the Detroit Lions.
He has special expertise in the treatment of throwing injuries in baseball players and other overhead athletes, as well as in the treatment of knee ligament injuries, shoulder reconstruction and treatment of shoulder instability, and hip preservation (hip arthroscopy for labral tears and impingement). He also has expertise in joint preservation and cartilage transplantation of the shoulder, elbow, and knee.
Dr. Makhni has extensive experience caring for athletes of all skill levels, from recreational athletes to elite athletes. He is currently a team physician for the Detroit Lions, with experience caring for other professional teams such as the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Bulls. He also serves as the team physician for the Detroit City FC soccer club and local high schools (Bloomfield Hills High School and Cranbrook Kingswood).
Dr. Makhni believes in shared decision-making between doctor and patient. He makes sure to provide his patients with all the available treatment options, including non-operative and operative.
- Throwing injuries of the shoulder and elbow
- Rotator cuff tears
- Shoulder instability/dislocations
- Knee ligament injury