Trauma and Emergency Surgery
Duration: 4 weeks
Distribution of student's time:
80% inpatient care
5% outpatient care
Average number of patients seen each week: 10
On-call responsibility: Every 4 days
Enrollment/Period: 2 maximum, upon availability
Prerequisites: Required Surgery clerkship
- Increase student involvement in conferences, journal clubs.
- Present patients in rounds in order to prepare them for their PG1 year.
- Expose them to procedures (lines, chest tubes, etc.).
- Quality of care given
- Participation and performance in conferences
- Level of knowledge
- Level of skills
Methods to be used in student evaluation:
- Observation of performance by faculty and house officers
- Assessment of write-ups/reports
- Oral tests
During this course, the student acquires the ability to initially assess the patient with a traumatic and non-traumatic acute surgical condition and knowledge of priorities to be established in terms of resuscitation and diagnostic work-up.