Intestine Transplant and Rehabilitation at Henry Ford
We offer hope at the Henry Ford Intestine Transplant and Rehabilitation Program. It’s the only program of its kind in Michigan with the full range of treatments for intestine failure:
- Intestine rehabilitation through diet and medication
- Intestine surgery
- Intestine transplant or multivisceral transplant
The Henry Ford Intestine Transplant and Rehabilitation Program uses diet and medication, and surgery when necessary, to improve your quality of life. Our team of experts is experienced in treating complicated intestine failure through:
- Nutritional counseling and dietary changes
- Intestine adaption to improve absorption of electrolytes, fluids and nutrients
- Medication to manage complications, such as diarrhea, peptic ulcers, gallstones, kidney stones, D-lactic acidosis
- State-of-the-art surgical procedures
Michigan’s most comprehensive transplant program
Benefits of choosing Henry Ford include:
- More options: We are the only program in Michigan offering intestine transplants, as well as the multiple organ transplants frequently needed for serious intestinal problems. We perform all intestine transplant types and provide care from before surgery through rehabilitation.
- Treatment for high-risk patients: Other centers may cite advanced age or weight as a reason to decline your transplant request. At Henry Ford, our doctors approach the criteria differently, while still making safety a top priority. Our transplant criteria include:
- Intestine-only transplants up to age 70, and multiple organs up to age 60
- No maximum weight restriction
- A team approach: Your intestine transplant team tailors a treatment plan for your specific health needs. Members work jointly with experts from our Liver Disease Center and Division of Gastroenterology.
Personalized care that’s “All For You”
As a Henry Ford patient, you work with a nurse who serves as your transplant coordinator. This nurse arranges all aspects of your care and is available for all your needs and questions. In addition to providing ongoing support to you and your family, our navigators are available 24 hours a day for medical emergencies.
Check out our transplant patient stories to hear what our patients say about their experiences at Henry Ford.