- University of Michigan, Epidemiological Scie, MI, 1994
- University of Michigan, Epidemiology, MI, 1985
I specialize in Public Health Sciences and Research.
Dr. Christine Joseph is a Senior Epidemiologist in the Department of Public Health Sciences. Dr. Joseph’s research interests include racial/ethnic health disparities, adolescent health, asthma and allergic disease, adherence, and school-based health management. Dr. Joseph was one of the first investigators to publish on undiagnosed asthma in urban Detroit. She was Principal Investigator of a series of NIH-funded projects that led to the development, implementation and evaluation of a web-based, asthma management tool known as Puff City. The program has had positive results on participants, and usage of the tool has been expanded to emergency department and clinic settings. Dr. Joseph is also a co-Investigator on several Center for Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Research (CAAIR) studies, including the WHEALS and the MAAP birth cohorts. With data from WHEALS, she has been able to conduct research on food allergy and has studied infant feeding practices as a risk factor for food sensitization.
Dr. Joseph is the recipient of federal, state, and foundation funding. She has served on a number of NIH review panels, and is a member of several professional societies. She also serves on State committees centering on asthma surveillance and epidemiology and on the elimination of racial disparities in asthma.
Awards and Honors
- November, 2008 Freddie Award: International Health & Medical Media Award: Puff City, 1st Place: Allergies & Asthma; Finalist (Inflammatory Diseases)
- April, 2012 Jae Ho Kim Lectureship Award: Early Complementary Feeding and Risk of Food Sensitization
- July, 2012 American Heart Association NOVA Award: Web-based asthma management for urban teens
- October, 2014 Diversity Hero Award, Henry Ford Health System
- February, 2014 Shadow of a Leader, Henry Ford Health System
- 1997-Present National Committee for Quality Assurance Measurement Advisory Panel
- 2000-Present Epidemiology & Surveillance Committee, Michigan Asthma Strategic Planning Initiative
- 2000-Present Coordinated School Health Council, Detroit Public Schools
- 2005-Present Co-chair, Committee on the Underserved, Am.Acad. of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology
- 2005-Present Representative, AMA Commission to End Health Care Disparities, Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology