Your Cancer Nurse Navigator
The Henry Ford Cancer Institute nurse navigators are registered nurses and compassionate cancer experts who will provide an exceptional experience for you and your family. They personally guide you through the cancer care journey -- from diagnosis through survivorship. They provide education about available care options, explain what to expect during future encounters, and help coordinate appointments and referrals for medical services.
Your nurse navigator will track your progress and make sure there is communication among care providers, including your primary care physician - even if they are from a different health system. When you have completed treatment, your nurse navigator will also provide survivorship planning, including transitioning you back under the care of your primary care provider.
Your Cancer Social Worker
Cancer social workers provide counseling and other services to reduce stress for you and your loved ones through all phases of your cancer. They can help you:
- Access information about your diagnosis and treatments to help you better understand them
- Identify which treatment options may be best for you based on your job, family, and other factors in your life
- Understand insurance coverage, disability benefits, and social security benefits and how to apply for them
- Locate and apply for programs that offer financial assistance
Our cancer social workers can also help guide you with:
- Successful communication with your care team members
- Sharing your cancer diagnosis with your children, family, friends or co-workers
- Coping with emotions like sadness, anger, worry and fear
- Understanding how cancer affects sex, intimacy, fertility, and feeling good about your body
- Living with cancer, issues commonly experienced and resources to help you long term
- Advance Directives and how they can help you guide your care