Services to relieve the symptoms and side effects of cancer and its treatments.
We believe in caring for the whole person -- body, mind, and spirit. Our skilled practitioners combine traditional medicine with complementary therapies to support the health and well-being of each patient.
These evidence-based treatments can help you cope with the physical and emotional side effects that you may experience while fighting cancer. You can rest assured that our therapists are specially trained to care for cancer patients.
Ask a Cancer Support Specialist
Our integrative medicine options
Your specific needs and priorities will determine which integrative therapies are right for you. Some of the treatments we offer with professionals who have specific training in cancer care include:
- Acupuncture: Studies have shown that acupuncture can minimize symptoms such as hot flashes in breast cancer patients.
- Chiropractic care: This can relieve pain and stiffness in joints or muscles caused by cancer treatment.
- Massage therapy: This can relieve pain, reduce stress and anxiety, and increase relaxation.
- Nutritional education: Our team can provide support and advice on herbal and nutritional supplements and nutritional programs. For a more in-depth evaluation on how your diet affects your cancer, consider making an appointment with our Functional Medicine team.
Our cancer doctors teamed up with our Heart & Vascular Institute to design our Exercise and Cancer Integrative Therapy Education Program (ExCITE). The ExCITE program provides individualized exercise programs for any cancer patients and survivors who have been referred by their care team.
Additional integrative therapies
Ask your cancer care team or visit our support groups and classes webpage to learn more about any of our integrative therapies. These peaceful, relaxing programs are available at select Henry Ford locations across the system:
- Art Therapy: Guided by a certified art therapist, you use drawing, painting and other artistic expression to help manage the emotional and psychological side effects that often result from cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Reiki: Reiki energy flows from the practitioner’s hands and into your body and energy field. A Reiki session is known to relieve stress and promote relaxation.
- Tai Chi: Gentle exercise that promotes the body’s natural healing process by creating a calmness of the mind with fuller, deeper breaths and focus.
- Yoga for cancer patients: Programs include gentle stretching, improved body mechanics, breathing techniques, relaxation, and meditation.