Our integrative medicine options
Your specific needs and priorities will determine which integrative therapies are right for you. Some of the treatments we offer with professionals who have specific training in cancer care include:
- Acupuncture: Studies have shown that acupuncture can minimize symptoms such as hot flashes in breast cancer patients.
- Chiropractic care: This can relieve pain and stiffness in joints or muscles caused by cancer treatment.
- Massage therapy: This can relieve pain, reduce stress and anxiety, and increase relaxation.
- Nutritional education: Our team can provide support and advice on herbal and nutritional supplements and nutritional programs.
Our cancer doctors teamed up with our Heart & Vascular Institute to design our Exercise and Cancer Integrative Therapy Education Program (ExCITE). The ExCITE program provides individualized exercise programs for breast cancer and prostate cancer patients and survivors.
ExCITE is the only program of its kind in Michigan. Participants have reported a wide range of benefits, including:
- Decreased anxiety and depression
- Decreased side effects of cancer treatment, such as nausea or hot flashes
- Increased emotional well-being
- Increased energy
- Improved body composition and weight control, which supports heart health
- Improved strength, flexibility, and endurance
Many participants tell us the program gives them a greater sense of control over their lives during cancer treatment.
Ask your doctor for a referral to the program. Once you have the referral, you’ll attend an instruction class and be evaluated by exercise oncology specialists to determine your baseline function. We’ll develop an individualized exercise plan based on the baseline and your health goals. The program will be designed to maximize response to treatment and minimize side effects.
The instruction class costs $25. Small group or individual personal training sessions are available for a separate fee.
Additional integrative therapies
Ask your nurse or social worker about any of our integrative therapies, available at select treatment locations throughout Henry Ford, including these peaceful, relaxing programs:
- Art Therapy: Guided by a certified art therapist, you use drawing, painting and other artistic expression to help manage the emotional and psychological side effects that often result from cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Reiki: Reiki energy flows from the practitioner’s hands and into your body and energy field. A Reiki session is known to relieve stress and promote relaxation.
- Tai Chi: Gentle exercise that promotes the body’s natural healing process by creating a calmness of the mind with fuller, deeper breaths and focus.
- Yoga for cancer patients: Programs include gentle stretching, improved body mechanics, breathing techniques, relaxation, and meditation.