Exercise and Cancer Integrative Therapy Education
ExCITE is the only program of its kind in Michigan. Our cancer doctors teamed up with the Heart & Vascular Institute to design our Exercise and Cancer Integrative Therapy Education Program (ExCITE). The ExCITE program provides individualized exercise programs for any cancer patient or survivor, and access to Henry Ford fitness facilities for a low introductory fee.
Participants in the ExCITE program have reported a wide range of benefits, including:
- Decreased side effects of cancer treatment (such as nausea or hot flashes)
- Improved mood, energy and decreased fatigue
- Greater fitness, muscular strength, flexibility and endurance
- Improved body composition and weight control
Ask a Cancer Support Specialist
"I have found that working out with people who know what we have been through is more supportive then going it alone in a gym." — ExCITE Detroit participant
How does the ExCITE program work?
You’ll attend the class and then be evaluated by exercise oncology specialists to determine your baseline function. We’ll develop an individualized exercise plan based on the baseline and your health goals. The program will be designed to maximize response to treatment and minimize side effects of cancer.
The ExCITE program includes:
- A free education class
- A Fitness Assessment
- Development of an individualized exercise plan
- Participation in the Henry Ford PREVENT program