Connect with Others Affected by Cancer
Social support resources can address your emotional needs and connect you to other cancer patients, survivors, and caregivers. Select a topic below to learn more about resources available.
Support for Cancer Patients
- Henry Ford’s support groups and classes offer encouragement and hope when you need it most, and our special programs will nourish your body and mind. All programs are free unless otherwise noted.
- This Facebook group is a place where Henry Ford Cancer Institute patients, post-treatment survivors, caregivers, and family can interact to share resources and help each other navigate this unique journey no one chose to be on.
- Free cancer support groups, one-on-one cancer support consultations and guidance, health and wellness talks and activities, stress management activities and social events with locations in Royal Oak, St. Clair Shores, and Detroit.
- A program that provides personalized connections that enable one-on-one support among cancer fighters, survivors and caregivers. Get matched with a mentor based on what is important to you like location, cancer type, age, gender or orientation.
- Anyone diagnosed or caring for someone with cancer is eligible to be matched with a mentor who will offer one-on-one support over the phone or e-mail.
- 8-week virtual therapy programs make life more manageable, so that you can enjoy it more.
- Covered 100% by many health insurance plans.
- Programs tailored specifically for cancer patients complement medical recovery by helping participants develop communication and lifestyle habits that support the transition from active care to the surveillance phase of treatment. Participants also learn practical ways to address the fear of cancer recurrence.
Support for Caregivers
- A free online service that matches cancer patients and caregivers with cancer survivor volunteers who will lend a trained, listening ear - sharing their experiences with cancer, providing hope, and inspiring courage.
- Online 15-week support groups for patients and caregivers. Find a group based on cancer stage, type of cancer, age or sexual orientation.
- Oncology social workers provide individual and group support, practical information and resources to help you better cope with cancer.
- Discussion boards and threads allow you to read posts from others as well as ask questions from the group. Find threads based on cancer type and other cancer related topics.
GRYT Health’s Cancer Community
- This app includes community discussion groups and group chats focused on connecting you to peers with similar thoughts and feelings.
- Get it on the Apple Store
- Get it on the Google Play Store
- A relaxation mobile app that uses breathing techniques, music, and visual imagery to reduce stress.
- A free app developed by Pfizer Oncology to help manage life with cancer
Bereavement and Grief Support
Henry Ford Hospice Bereavement Support Groups
- A person does not have to have had any connection with Henry Ford Hospice to take advantage of grief support groups. However, if your loved one was cared for by Henry Ford Hospice, a bereavement specialist will provide family support for at least 13 months after their death. Call for more information. If you are interested in registering for a support group or receiving the latest edition of our bereavement newsletter, call (586) 276-9570.
- Henry Ford Hospice Locations and Contact Info
- These support groups are free and open to the community, but registration is required.
- Offers support groups and online resources for those experiencing grief and in need of healing.
- Grief Support Groups are free and available at Detroit, St. Clair Shores, and Pleasant Ridge locations.
- A local emotional wellness center offering one-on-one therapy, support groups and more with licensed therapist and social workers. Many insurances are accepted, and a sliding scale is used to charge for services.
- Resources for caregivers and loved ones experiencing grief.
- Modern Loss is a place to share the unspeakably taboo, unbelievably hilarious, and unexpectedly beautiful terrain of navigating your life after a death. Grief resources for families with children under 18
- The New Day Foundation for Families offers free counseling for families with children who have been affected by cancer.
- This Henry Ford group offers support groups and a summer camp for families with children ages 3-18 who have experienced the death of a loved one.
- New Hope offers age and loss-specific workshops, seminars, peer support groups and social events for all family members affected by grief.
LGBTQ ResourcesGilda’s Club Metro Detroit - Support Group
- The free LGBTQ and Cancer support group provides social and emotional support for LGBTQ persons with cancer and/or their partners, LGBTQ family members/friends.
- Provides information about cancer-related programs, services and research focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people, and disease-specific message boards.
- This website provides information about cancer-related programs, services and research focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people, and disease-specific message boards.