Financial Support for those Affected by Cancer
Financial assistance, grants, and planning tools can provide you with funding and information to ease the cost of cancer. Select a topic below to learn more about resources available.
Assistance for Medical Expenses
- Learn more about your medical bill, pay online, or contact us for assistance.
- Find out if your insurance is accepted at the Henry Ford hospital or medical center near you.
- Patients can look to Henry Ford Health for fair pricing of the medical services it provides and for assistance with finding options to help manage their medical costs.
- List of community resources where patients can get medical equipment at little to no cost.
- Information and instructions about how to apply for Prescription Assistance Plans (PAPs).
- If you are without insurance and struggling to pay for everyday medication or medical supplies, you may be eligible for assistance from World Medical Relief.
- CancerCare offers limited financial assistance for cancer-related costs and co-pays and support from oncology social workers with finding additional resources.
- Disease-specific assistance programs help patients pay for out-of-pocket costs, such as deductibles, co-pays and coinsurance, travel expenses and health insurance premiums.
- Co-Pay Relief program exists to help reduce the financial distress patients, and their families face when paying for treatment.
- Foundation helping those who are underinsured pay copays, premiums, deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses.
- A nonprofit organization dedicated to providing financial assistance to patients with serious and chronic diseases. TAF has programs for copay assistance, insurance premiums and incidentals and health care expenses.
- LLS offers financial assistance for medical and non-medical expenses of those diagnosed with Leukemia or Lymphoma.
Assistance for Living Expenses
- Game On Cancer is a unique program at the Henry Ford Cancer Institute where a community of people raise money annually to support cancer patient needs, programming and research.
- If you are a Henry Ford Cancer Institute patient, talk to your social worker or cancer care team to see if you’re eligible for financial assistance through Game On Cancer.
- If you’re interested in getting involved in raising money for Game On Cancer, visit their website to join the team!
- Dedicated to alleviating the financial burden of cancer by providing immediate financial assistance, education and navigation to families before they hit critical break points. Download the free financial handbook.
- A local non-profit that provides emergency assistance for the daily living expenses of cancer patients (i.e. rent/mortgage, utilities, food, insurance, auto).
- The New Day Foundation helps families facing any type of cancer with financial assistance, social workers and financial navigators, and an expense worksheet.
- Short term, convenient, hotel-like accommodations on a first-come first-serve basis in the apartment building behind Henry Ford Hospital.
- The American Cancer Society (ACS), through their “Hotel Partners Program,” offers reduced rates at various downtown and suburban hotels to cancer patients. For more information, call (800) 227-2345.
- Career and employment support for cancer patients during treatment.
- Patient education and resources to help navigate the financial impact of cancer and where to find help.
- Pro bono financial planners to help manage cash flow and debt during cancer treatment.
- Dearborn Federal Credit Union offers free educational financial seminars on topics including debt-free living, Medicare, social security, student loans and more. All seminars are free to members and potential members. Learn more about seminar topics, dates and times.
Health Insurance and Government Assistance
- The official website for the Medicare program, find out more about your plan and what services are covered.
- Visit our Medicaid page to learn more about applying for Medicaid in Michigan. Visit MI Bridges to learn more or apply for Medicaid.
- The act that entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take 12 unpaid weeks off work with job security and continuation of group health coverage due to a serious health condition of self or a direct family member, among other situations.
- Ask your social worker if you have questions about filling out and submitting online FMLA forms.
- Online Social Security benefits application form.
- If you have one of the conditions on this Compassionate Allowances list, you could be approved for social security disability benefits more quickly.