Audiology externship program
Henry Ford Health System’s Division of Audiology offers a unique externship experience for audiology graduate students in their final year of study. Our goal is to provide a wealth of experiences across multiple settings that will prepare graduating students for the challenges of a career in audiology.
We offer four externship positions annually, beginning July 1st of each year. The externship is for one calendar year. Highlights of our program include:
- Henry Ford externs gain a wide variety of experience while rotating through our two Detroit-area hospitals and four Detroit-area medical centers. Audiologists at each site work with a diverse population of patients varying in socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Externs will gain experience in adult and pediatric diagnostic testing, including behavioral testing, electrophysiological assessment (sedated and non-sedated), and regular evaluation of newborns in the Intensive Care Nursery.
- We offer two complete vestibular testing clinics. Externs will have the opportunity to learn rotary chair, VNG, Posturography, GaitRite and VEMPs.
- Treatment services include the selection, fitting and verification of hearing aid amplification, implantable devices and other hearing assistive devices from multiple manufacturers.
- Externs participate in clinic-based research and present their findings in our department’s annual Resident Research Day.
- Externs complete a 10-week rotation through the University of Michigan’s Cochlear Implant Program to gain further experience in cochlear implants
- Because of our clinical affiliation with Wayne State University’s Doctor of Audiology program, externs also gain experience in mentoring other graduate students.
Henry Ford externs have gone on to find rewarding positions in the field of audiology all over the world. See what some of our past externs are saying regarding their experience at Henry Ford:
“This externship is great for future clinicians who are looking to get a broad experience in the various areas of audiology. The staff is knowledgeable; the patients keep it interesting and there are plenty of great places to explore around the area during free time! Most importantly, this externship helped make me a confident and well-rounded clinician, ready to face the challenges that lie ahead.” Currently an audiologist at Vanderbilt University
“Henry Ford Health System was a great place to complete my Au.D. externship. I had a solid foundation of coursework from my university coming in to the placement and the hands-on experiences I gained with HFHS really advanced my clinical skills in all areas of diagnostic audiology. I enjoyed the support from all mentors at HFHS and all the encouragement I received throughout the year to increase my independence as it became appropriate. HFHS has a very busy, fast-paced clinic with lots of patients to see. This was a bit overwhelming at first, but quickly the fast pace became routine and I now crave that same level of activity in my current job. The HFHS externship is unique in that the externs are able to develop relationships with their patients since they are able to follow a patient over several visits. Also unique to the HFHS externship is the camaraderie that develops among the externs. It was great to have other externs to go through the experience with. I would highly recommend the HFHS externship to anyone who is looking for a busy, fast-paced and interesting externship experience.” Currently an audiologist at a Chicago-area Children’s Hospital
For more information, please contact Kaylee Smith, Au.D, externship coordinator, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume and three letters of reference to Dr. Smith. Applications may be sent via email to address above (preferred method) or standard mail to:Kaylee Smith, Au.D
Henry Ford Hospital
2799 W. Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202