Henry Ford Hospital Dietetic Internship Program Introduction
Each year the program is scheduled to begin the first Monday of October and graduation is planned for the 3rd week of July (42 weeks later). All learning experiences are supervised by registered dietitian nutritionists or other qualified faculty/preceptors. Successful completion of the 42 week program should prepare competent entry-level practitioners. See Program Schedule for further information regarding the specific learning experiences.
Dietetic Interns must demonstrate a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to a diverse patient population. Dietetic Interns are expected to: Demonstrate respect, compassion, and integrity; a responsiveness to the needs of patients and society that super-cedes self-interest; show accountability to patients, society, and the profession; demonstrate a commitment to excellence and on-going professional development; demonstrate a commitment to ethical principles pertaining to provision or withholding of clinical care, confidentiality of patient information, and business practices; demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to patients' culture, age, gender and disabilities.
Highlights of the Henry Ford Hospital (HFH) Dietetic Internship Program include:
- A 42-week educational program in Dietetics with a Nutrition Therapy concentration.
- The faculty-to-student ratio is 1:1.
- The program includes: Critical Care, Enteral Nutrition, Oncology/Henry Ford Cancer Institute, Cardiology/Health Coaching, Nephrology/Dialysis, Internal Medicine/Geriatrics, Infectious Disease/Wounds, Transplant/Pulmonary, and Pediatrics.
- Tuition is $7,500.00 starting for incoming class of October 2022, and includes registration at the Breeding Review Course for the Registration Examination for Dietitians, the HFH Annual Nutrition Symposium, and other field trips.
- Graduate credit may be available through On-line Master’s Programs such as Central Michigan University.
- The Henry Ford Hospital Dietetic Internship Program does not participate in any financial aid or scholarship programs.
- Access to all programs / facilities within Henry Ford Health System such as Physical Therapy, Speech Language Pathology and Occupational Therapy:
- New Employee and Student Orientation which includes a System Overview, Ethics and Compliance; and A Culture of Patient Safety..
- Leadership Development courses such as "Assertive Communication", "Behavioral Based Interviewing", "Performance Management and Coaching", "Dealing with Difficult Behavior" and "Teambuilding Strategies".
- Employee Development courses such as: "Coping with Stress", "Interpersonal Communication: A Key to Success and Empowerment" and "Managing Change".
- HFHS University classes covering: Pressure Injury Prevention, Age Appropriate Care of Adolescents and Adults, Care of the Transplant Patient, Diabetes, Patient Safety, Emergency Preparedness and Infection Control.
- Diversity Training programs.
- Sladen Library and Center for Health Information Resources (including computer use, copying services, literature searches and inter-library loan program)
- Educational Classrooms
- Audiovisual Department
- Allied Health Education Council
- Observation of Special Studies procedures, like PEG, PEJ tube placement, Dynamic Swallow Study
- Observation of Surgical procedures
- Participation in Hospital functions like Employee Health fair, National Nutrition Month, Employee Recognition activities, Employee Safety Fair, Employee Wellness programs