A-STEP Program Overview
Part 1: Introductory Course
This course consists of 80 hours of classroom instruction and training through an approved A-STEP provider. Classes are scheduled Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. over a two-week period. The coursework involves consistent, basic instruction about sleep, sleep disorders, sleep studies and patient care.
Instruction is a combination of didactic classroom lectures and hands-on application in the clinical environment. Additional after-hours time can be scheduled with our team of experienced and registered technologists to further enhance the candidate’s learning experience.
See the A-STEP sample syllabus for more information.
Students who complete the course proceed to part 2 of the A-STEP program, the online self-study modules.
Part 2: Self-Study Modules
This web-based program consists of 26 online self-study modules. These are in a video-based format and can be completed from the comfort of your home. Students are eligible to start the modules upon completion of the introductory course and all modules must be completed before applying to sit for the national registry examination. Students are also required to work a minimum number of clinical hours before being eligible for the registry examination. As of March 1, 2013, rule changes governing testing eligibility have eliminated the former nine-month minimum period and replaced it with 819 cumulative hours of clinical experience. This is typically paid clinical experience, but it is no longer required to be paid time.
Completion of the A-STEP Introductory Course, the online self-study modules, and the required clinical experience meets the minimal eligibility requirements to apply and sit for the BRPT or AASM National Registry Examination. Candidates successfully completing the registry examination will join the more than 20,200 registered polysomnographic technologists (RPSGT or RST) who are currently working in this rapidly growing field.
Why Choose Henry Ford Allegiance Health’s A-STEP program?
We are dedicated to offering the most comprehensive and technologically advanced A-STEP program available. Our 10-bed, 6-days-per-week testing environment offers a number of distinct advantages:
- Use of the most comprehensive and state-of-the-art 3D animated graphics tool available to facilitate your learning of human anatomy
- Extensive use of audio-visual presentations throughout the program to accelerate and maximize the learning experience
- Ample opportunity to spend after-class hours with our staff of registered technologists and respiratory therapists
- The most technologically advanced equipment and sleep-testing software in the field of sleep medicine
- Small class sizes (maximum 10 students) and fully-dedicated instruction to maximize your learning experience