Timeline for Applicants – 2022-23 Match Cycle:
- Late September 2022 - ERAS opens for program review
- Mid-Late October - Interview calls will start via ERAS
- November 2 through January 16th - Remote interviews will be held, with optional hospital tours available.
For Internal Medicine Residency Applicants
Thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency Program at Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University Program. All application information is on the Henry Ford Hospital website. For your convenience, the information is listed below. As the ERAS application process is expensive, please review this information to determine if our program is a good fit for you.
Due to the volume of emails received, I am unable to answer each request individually nor is it possible to pre-screen application material. I hope you understand. Thank you and good luck with your residency search.
- Applications should be received through ERAS by November 1st, although by then, most interview slots may be filled. Apply as early as you can, with as completed of an application as you can. Applications received after that time, applications may or may not be reviewed.
- We do not have USMLE score requirements; it is strongly preferred that all exams are completed on the first attempt.
- Osteopathic applicants (DO) are able to apply with COMLEX exams. However, please be aware that many fellowship programs following residency prefer the USMLE exams. It is strongly preferred that all exams are completed on the first attempt.
- We would be happy to sponsor a J1 visa for those applicants needing visa sponsorship. Sorry, we are unable to sponsor an H1b visa. Should you have an advanced degree from a US medical school M.D./D.O. or US graduate school (M.P.H.), you will be able to start residency on an OPT visa through your school. Following that, you will then revert to a J1 visa.
- Medical school graduation should be no more than 3 years ago.
- Interviews are offered in mid-October and will take place late October through mid-January. All interviews will be held virtually for the 2022-2023 interview season.
- All our positions will be offered through the NRMP match. You should be ECFMG certified by the time the match list is submitted.
- Due to insurance regulations, we are unable offer externship or observership positions. We are also unable to provide rotations for current medical students from outside of the USA. The current information is available here.
- You must have passed USMLE/COMLEX Step 1, Step 2 CS and CK to start residency.
- When determining if you should apply to this program, please keep in mind that we received over 3500 applications for 36 positions last year. ERAS is expensive and you need to apply wisely. It is ultimately your decision if you should apply to our program and against the law for any program to not accept an application.
- We do not require USCE (US clinical experience)
- You must be ready to start hospital orientation for residency approximately June 20, 2023. Failure to not appear for residency orientation is considered a NRMP Match violation and could have serious consequences.
- No Smoking: HFHS will no longer enroll/hire residents and fellows who use products containing nicotine. The nicotine test will be administered as part of the pre-employment health screen. Testing positive is a failure to meet the conditions of employment and considered a violation of the HFHS employment contract and match agreement. Applicants who test positive for nicotine will not be allowed to start their program. They may be re-tested in 90 days, but programs will not be obligated to hold the position for the applicant.
- Flu Shots: Henry Ford employees who work in clinical and non-clinical positions are required to receive an annual flu vaccination. This applies to all residents and fellows, as well as physicians, nurses, students, transporters, volunteers, housekeepers, clerical, lab and dietary staff and employees in non-clinical positions. Employees may only decline vaccination if they provide documentation of an acceptable medical or religious reason.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Shots: All Henry Ford employees who work in clinical and non-clinical positions are required to vaccinated against COVID-19. This applies to all residents and fellows, as well as physicians, nurses, students, transporters, volunteers, housekeepers, clerical, lab and dietary staff and employees in non-clinical positions. Employees may only decline vaccination if they provide documentation of an acceptable medical or religious reason.
Rev: Apr 2022