Meet the Epilepsy Faculty
Henry Ford Comprehensive Epilepsy Program is a Level 4 epilepsy center designated by the National Associations of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) - since our Program has the highest level of professional skills and facilities to provide medical and surgical treatments for patients with complicated drug-resistant epilepsy.
At HFCEP, we offer the latest in medical treatments and presurgical evaluations for drug resistant epilepsy including intracranial EEG monitoring with stereotactic EEG, bedside functional mapping, intraoperative electrocorticography, and surgical interventions like resective brain surgery, laser brain ablation therapy, corpus callosotomy, and all the other FDA approved neuro-stimulation implant therapies like VNS, RNS (neuro-pace) and DBS. Every year, our Epilepsy Team provides expert care to patients at more than 4,000 clinic appointments. Specialists from Epilepsy division and Neurosurgery assist in performing more than 60 surgeries. Our expert epileptologists read more than 3000 EEGs each year. The Program features a state-of-the-art Epilepsy Monitoring Units (EMU) which helps diagnose seizures and epilepsy, and evaluate treatment options. The EMUs have 8 adult and 4 pediatric beds, and admit more than 300 patients annually where our experienced nurses provide compassionate care to our patients. In addition to epileptologists and epilepsy neurosurgeons, the team includes neuro-psychologists who offer skilled evaluation and treatment including counseling and neuro-radiologists. At HFCEP, comprehensive care is available all under one roof!
The Henry Ford Comprehensive Epilepsy Program offers:
- The only Magnetoencephalography (MEG) in Michigan
- An internationally known research team active in presenting and publishing its findings
- Involved in clinical trials for anti-seizure medications
- One of the largest recruitment site for NeuroPace RNS trials
- Active site for SLATE trial for laser ablation therapy
- A long history of affiliation with the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan and support groups for epilepsy patients
- Additional expertise in: surgical interventions and treatment of epilepsy including RNS (Neuropace), VNS, DBS and laser brain ablation therapy, management of epilepsy in women, and non-epileptic seizures