Duration: 4 weeks
Period offered: Sept - November, January - June
Distribution of student's time:
20 % conferences/lectures
80 % laboratory work
Enrollment/Period: 2 maximum, upon availability
- Gain significant insight into clinical utilization of the Anatomic Pathology laboratory and the consultative role of the anatomic pathologist in patient care.
- Enhance knowledge and skills pertaining to interpretation of data and procedures to include reading, interpretating slides, examination of gross tissue, and viewing of autopsy procedures, etc.
- Increase student involvement in conferences, journal clubs.
- Increase student use/review of the medical literature.
- Participation and performance in conferences
- Level of knowledge
- Level of skills
Methods to be used in student evaluation:
- Observation of performance by faculty
- Observation of performance by house officers
The clerkship in anatomic pathology is tailored to give the student an experience in disease diagnosis of tissue and cellular samples. The clerkship allows experience in surgical pathology, cytopathology, autopsy, immunopathology, including flow cytometry, molecular biology and other components of anatomic pathology. Participation in clinical, teaching and research conferences is expected. Any one area in anatomic pathology maybe stressed depending on the student's interests and career goals.