Pulmonary Disease Consultation
Duration: 4 weeks
Distribution of student's time:
85% inpatient care
Average number of patients seen each week: 5
Enrollment/Period: 1 maximum, upon availability
Prerequisites: Completion of core clerkship in Medicine
- Enhance knowledge and skills pertaining to interviewing, physical examination, or patient interactions, interpretation of data, clinical judgment, therapy, and advice to patients.
- Increase student involvement in conferences, journal clubs.
- Increase student use/review of the medical literature.
- Quality of care given
- Level of knowledge
- Level of skills
Methods to be used in student evaluation:
- Observation of performance by faculty
- Assessment of write-ups/reports
The student works with a senior staff member, pulmonary fellow and two medical residents on the inpatient consultation service which performs 4-6 consults daily, including a variety of conditions and diagnostic problems. Attendance at division conferences (4 per week) is expected.