Diversity & Inclusion Information | Henry Ford
Diversity always will be the foundation on which Henry Ford Health stands. We value and embrace the wealth of diversity reflected in our patients, their families, our workforce and partners, and the many diverse communities we serve.
The story of diversity at Henry Ford Health is told through the unique experiences of our stakeholders. We leverage our diversity to directly and indirectly influence the equitable delivery of culturally appropriate care and create a welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone.
Diversity is about acceptance and respect for all people and valuing the uniqueness of individuals. Our focus on diversity, equity and inclusion as business imperatives is essential as we work toward our vision – We will be the trusted partner in health, leading the nation in superior care and value. To accomplish this, diversity, equity and inclusion are woven into the fabric of everything we do.
- We move beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity within each individual.
- Our policy of inclusion reaches far beyond race and ethnicity to include gender, age, physical and mental abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, educational background, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic status, veteran and military status, geographical location, income, marital status, parental status and work experiences.
- We cultivate an environment where exploration of these differences is safe, positive and nurturing.
- We realize that diversity is a reality, created by individuals and groups from a broad spectrum of demographic and philosophical differences. We believe it is extremely important to support and protect diversity by valuing individuals and groups, free from prejudice, and fostering a climate of equity and mutual respect.
- System-wide Healthcare Equity Campaign, focused on raising awareness, improving cross cultural communication, and integrating changes into system policies.
- Institute on Multicultural Health (IOMH) is working to develop effective and innovative approaches to providing quality healthcare to underrepresented racial and ethnic populations who are disproportionately affected by serious and chronic medical conditions
- The Multicultural Dermatology Clinic specializing in hair, tissue, and skin treatment for patients from diverse ethnicities.
- Multiple training opportunities for health system leaders and team members in health care equity, culturally appropriate care, and diversity and inclusion topics including Unconscious Bias training
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) for women, veterans, caregivers, individuals living with a disability, Hispanic/Latino, Middle Eastern, African American, Millennials, and LGBTQ team members.
- A supplier diversity program nationally recognized for fostering the growth of small, women-owned, and minority-owned businesses