Join Henry Ford Health’s Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program
An exciting pathway to a successful career in healthcare.
Healthcare is the largest industry in southeast Michigan—and there are so many job opportunities for medical assistants at Henry Ford Health. Enroll in our medical assistant apprenticeship program, and upon completion, work as a full-time medical assistant here at Henry Ford.
How The Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Works
We’ll pay for your medical assistant college classes; MiWorks will assist you with additional expenses like textbooks, scrubs and stethoscopes. We’ll also give you paid, on-the-job training so that you’ll receive all of the tools needed to successfully become a medical assistant. To date, 32 apprentices have graduated and virtually all of them are working fulltime at Henry Ford. Here’s how it works:
- The medical assistant apprenticeship is a 10-month program.
- Upon enrollment, you’ll be paired with a college and a Henry Ford Medical Center location that’s close to home. (Henry Ford locations are within Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties; participating colleges include Oakland Community College, Schoolcraft College and Henry Ford College.)
- You’ll work as a paid apprentice at Henry Ford for two days a week, 16 hours a week. When your apprenticeship begins, responsibilities will include greeting and escorting patients to exam rooms, measuring and recording patients’ height and weight, and using computerized charting systems, such as EPIC. As you progress through the apprenticeship, your responsibilities will increase.
- While apprenticing at Henry Ford, you’ll take the college classes required to become a medical assistant.
- After completing the college curriculum, you’ll take the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) exam to earn your medical assistant certification.
- Upon earning your medical assistant certification, you’ll receive a completion certificate from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Following successful completion of the program, you’ll be transferred into a full-time position at Henry Ford as a medical assistant.
Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Application Requirements
To apply, you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Include official transcripts of any post-high school education in your application
- Undergo a criminal background check
- Be physically capable of performing essential functions of a medical assistant apprentice with or without reasonable accommodation and without posting a direct threat to the health and safety of the individual or others
- Pass a pre-employment health screening, which includes: nicotine and drug urine testing, tuberculosis skin testing, respirator fit testing, color vision testing, and receiving the MMR, varicella, hepatitis B, flu and COVID-19 vaccines
- To learn more or apply, email Dawn.
- The application screening process is ongoing. Candidates will be hired by August 1st.