October 21, 2016 – The Global Health Initiative (GHI) will be hosting the 2016 Global Health Symposium: Building Clinical and Research Capacity at Home and Abroad, on October 21st, 2016 at Henry Ford Hospital’s Buerki Auditorium. Register now.
July 6, 2016 – GHI hosted a lecture on “Healthcare in Colombia” by guest faculty Dr. Luis Alejandro Gómez Barrera from Universidad El Bosque in Bogotá.
June 22, 2016 – GHI Senior Program Coordinator Alex Plum represented HFHS at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Innovator Network gathering. Composed of 15 health systems in the US, the Innovator Network supports adapting and implementing global approaches and ideas inside the US healthcare landscape.
June 11-24, 2016 – GHI Program Coordinator Dana Parke travelled to Accra and Kumasi, Ghana with the HFHS International Center for the Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes, where she explored new collaborations in Ghana.
May 25-29, 2016 – GHI’s Alex Plum and John Zervos accompanied HFHS Sr. VP Dr. Kimberlydawn Wisdom and leaders from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement to the Isle of Jersey (UK) to learn about their innovative Call & Check program to reduce social isolation and improve care for elderly seniors. GHI is working with partners inside and outside HFHS to adapt Call & Check in Detroit.
May 6, 2016 – GHI welcomed a delegation of neurosurgeons from Myanmar. Professor Win Myaing gave a lecture on the “History of Myanmar Neurosurgery.” Two residents from Myanmar began a two month observation in Neurosurgery at Henry Ford Hospital.
April 18, 2016 – GHI hosted a reception at Henry Ford Hospital with GHI collaborator Geneviève Poitevien, Dean of Université Quisqueya’s Faculté De Sciences de la Santé (School of Medicine).
April 9-11, 2016 – GHI presented a poster at the 7th Annual Global Health Conference, hosted by the Consortium of Universities for Global Health, in San Francisco, California.
March 19, 2016 – GHI presented four posters at the Michigan Infectious Diseases Society (MIDS) Annual Meeting in Detroit, Michigan.
March 10-11, 2016 – GHI co-hosted their Second Annual Scientific Conference with the Ministry of Health of Haiti on “Best Practices for Building Partnerships for Vaccine Preventable Diseases in Haiti” held at the Laboratoire National de Santé Publique in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Dr. Julie Gerberding of Merck & Co., Inc. gave the keynote address.
March 7-13 – GHI Senior Program Coordinator Alex Plum traveled to Istanbul, Turkey with the US State Department’s Middle East Partnership Initiative, where he mentored young Arab leaders on health-related community development projects in their home countries.
February 20, 2016 – GHI presented on our work at the Third Annual M-HEAL and Timmy Global Health Global Health Symposium in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
January 21-23, 2016, GHI presented an abstract on the Detroit Sustainable Development Goal Workshop in Portland, Oregon at the International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, and Social Sustainability.
January 2016 – GHI hosted a lecture on post-earthquake healthcare in Nepal. To watch the full lecture click here.
December 2015 – GHI and Henry Ford School-Based and Community Program received a $48,000 grant from AstraZeneca Healthcare Foundation to implement and evaluate an asthma education program in Detroit Public Schools.
December 2015 – GHI sponsored World AIDS Day Detroit.
On November 30, GHI hosted a “Healthcare in Taiwan” lecture where Dr. Elle Shu-Wan Jian (Taiwan CDC) spoke about surveillance for dengue and other vector-borne diseases in Taiwan.
November 5-7, GHI presented a poster on our training and research program at Université Quisqueya in Haiti at the Canadian Conference on Global Health in Montreal.
November 5-6, GHI gave a panel presentation on our Emergency Department Rapid Syphilis Testing Project in the City of Detroit at the Michigan Innovations in HIV Prevention and Treatment Symposium at University of Michigan.
November 2015 – In collaboration with the HFHS Department of Neurosurgery, GHI hosted a Neurosurgery Training Workshop in Yangon, Myanmar. Yangon General Hospital is one of our newest international partners.
October 21-24, GHI gave a panel presentation at the Haitian Studies Association Conference in Montreal on the Dynamics of Strengthening Medical Education in Haiti, which looked specifically at the methods used at Université Quisqueya, our partner organization in Haiti. The Dean of UniQ-FSSA also co-presented with GHI.
On October 17, GHI, Wayne State University School of Law, and the Damon J. Keith Center for Human Rights hosted a Sustainable Development Goal Workshop to explore the creative application of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals for public health challenges facing the city of Detroit.
On October 16, GHI successfully hosted its Second Annual Global Health Symposium: Sustainable Solutions to Improve the Health and Lives of the Underserved at Home and Abroad. The event welcomed an audience of 262, including 58 poster and 2 oral abstract presentations, and panel speakers from Peru, Uganda, Haiti, Bahamas, Detroit and more.
July 2015 – GHI received a grant from Merck to continue its antimicrobial resistance work in India, which is focused on slowing the spread of antimicrobial resistance in an Indian hospital’s Intensive Care Unit.
June 2015 – GHI received a grant from Merck to improve adult immunization rates in Detroit by evaluating barriers to uptake and implementing solutions that address these concerns.
- John Zervos and Dana Parke explore "The Next Generation of Community Health Worker Programs" in the Huffington Post.
- Wang B, Stanton B, Deveaux L, Poitier M, Lunn S, Koci V, Adderley R, Kaljee L, Marshall S, Li X, Rolle G. Factors influencing implementation dose and fidelity thereof and related student outcomes of an evidence-based national HIV prevention program. Implement Sci. 2015 Apr 7;10:44. doi: 10.1186/s13012-015-0236-y.
- Kaljee L, Wang B, Deveaux L, Lunn S, Rolle G, Villar ME, Stanton B. Cross-sectional data on alcohol and marijuana use and sexual behavior among male and female secondary school students in New Providence, The Bahamas. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2015 Mar 14. pii: /j/ijamh.ahead-of-print/ijamh-2014-0079/ijamh-2014-0079.xml. doi: 10.1515/ijamh-2014-0079.
- Chen X, Wang P, Wegner R, Gong J, Fang X, Kaljee L. Measuring Social Capital Investment: Scale Development and Examination of Links to Social Capital and Perceived Stress. Soc Indic Res. 2015 Feb;120(3):669-687. PMID: 25648725
- Anglade F, Cerome S, Dimanche S, Parke D, Poitevien G, Zephirin W, Zervos M. Des exemples concrets pour le renforcement du partenariat en capacity building : A propos d’une expérience de stages d’immersion en maladies infectieuses et en anatomie pathologique au sein de Henry Ford Hospital. Poster Presentation at EqualHealth Conference, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, November 14, 2015.
- Khuntia J, Tanniru M, Zervos J. Extending Care Outside of the Hospital Walls: A Case of Value Creation through Synchronous Video Communication for Knowledge Exchange in Community Health Network. International Journal of E-Business Research Apr-Jun 2015, 11(2):1-17.
- Paul Jacques Boncy, Paul Adrien, Jean Frantz Lemoine, Alexandre Existe, Patricia Jean Henry, Christian Raccurt, Philippe Brasseur, Natael Fenelon, John B Dame, Bernard A Okech, Linda Kaljee, Dwayne Baxa, Eric Prieur, Maha A El Badry, Massimiliano S Tagliamonte, Connie J Mulligan, Tamar E Carter, V Madsen Beau de Rochars, Chelsea Lutz, Dana M Parke and Marcus J Zervos. Malaria elimination in Haiti by the year 2020: an achievable goal? Malaria J. 2015. DOI: 10.1186/s12936-015-0753-9.
- Kaljee L, Kilgore P, Zervos P, Zervos M, Zervos J, Parke D, Arshad S, Chan C, Prentiss T, Prentiss K, Sime J [in press]. Healthcare Utilization for Acute Febrile Illness, Knowledge of Malaria and Trust in Informational Resources among Clinic Attendees in Port-au-Prince and Artibonite Department: A Cross-sectional Survey. West Indian Medical Journal. Accepted for publication.
- Parke, D, Kaljee, L, Kilgore, P, Poitevien, G, Simon, Y, Raphael, NA, Hoe, M, Zervos, J, Dankerlui, D, Prentiss, T, Zervos, M. An interdisciplinary approach to improving health research capacity in Haiti: The research training to research project model. Annals of Global Health 2015, 1(1): 47.
- Kaljee, L., Sirivichayakul, C., Anh, D., Kilgore, P., Zervos, J., Prentiss, T., Zervos, M. Decreasing health disparities for vaccine preventable diseases among adults in Viet Nam and Thailand. Annals of Global Health 2015, 1(1): 155-156.
- Alexis, M., Zervos, J., Agarwal. U., Markowitz, N., Myneedu, V., Prentiss, T., Zervos, M., Jaiswal, A. Antibiotic susceptibility patterns in an intensive care unit at a tertiary hospital in New Delhi, India. Annals of Global Health 2015, 1(1): 3-4.
- Kilgore PE, Grabenstein JD, Salim AM, Rybak M. Treatment of Ebola Virus Disease. Pharmacotherapy. 2015 Jan; 35(1):43-53.
- Nisarga R, Premalatha R, Shivananda, Ravikumar KL, Shivappa U, Gopi A, Chikkadasarahalli SB, Batuwanthudawe R, Kilgore PE, Kim SA, Balter I, Jouve S, Ye J, Moscariello M. Hospital-based Surveillance of Invasive Pneumococcal Disease and Pneumonia in South Bangalore, India. Indian Pediatrics. March 15, 2015; 52 (3): 205--11.
- DoKyung Lee, Eun Jin Kim, Paul E. Kilgore, Soon Ae Kim, Hideyuki Takahashi, Makoto Ohnishi, Dang Duc Anh, Bai Qing Dong, Jung Soo Kim, Jun Tomono, Shigehiko Miyamoto, Tsugunori Notomi, Dong Wook Kim, Mitsuko Seki. Clinical evaluation of loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assay for rapid detection of Neisseria meningitidis in cerebrospinal fluid. PLOS ONE, in press.
- Florian Marks, Nyambat Batmunkh, Zhi-Yi Xu, Paul Kilgore, Hye Jin Seo, Yuping Du, Se Eun Park, Justin Im, Frank Konings, Christian G. Meyer, Thomas F. Wierzba, John D. Clemens. Vaccine introduction in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Vaccine, in press.
- Tanniru M, Zervos J, Kaljee, L, Eveslage B, Turaka N, Konkani S, Prentiss T. 2014. Global health information technology solutions for a community health innovation framework. 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Jan 2015.
- On October 10, 2014, the GHI co-hosted the First Annual Global Health Symposium: Building on the Power of Partnerships at Henry Ford Hospital. The event featured 44 poster abstracts, 8 oral abstracts, and speakers from Haiti, Ghana, Detroit and more.
- John Zervos explains the best practices for "Maximizing the Efficacy of Short Term Medical Missions" in the Huffington Post.
- Zervos TM, Prentiss T, Arshad S, Prentiss K, Zervos JM, Wilt K, Bruni S, Sime J, Lucien MAB,
- Zervos MJ. Evaluation of malaria species in Haiti: detection of sub-clinical infection. (Poster). 24th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), Barcelona, Spain, May 10, 2014.
- "Fast, Efficient Record System for Transient Medical Teams," Sarah Draugelis, Research Assistant, The Global Health Initiative, Division of Infectious Diseases, Henry Ford Health System. Presented at 11th Annual Global Health & Innovation Conference, New Haven, CT, April 2014.
- Dankerlui, D., Prentiss, T., Ventimiglia, J., Adu, D., Arshad, S., Parke, D., Zervos, J. Establishing partnerships between a health system, student organizations, and local partners to conduct scientific research within the context of short-term student missions. Presented at the Fifth Annual Consortium of Universities of Global Health Conference, May 2014, Washington, D.C.
- Chan, CA. Haitian attitudes toward acute febrile illness: Public health insights from a narrative perspective. World Medical & Health Policy 2014, 6(1): 101-104. DOI: 10.1002/wmh3.82.
- Grunwald, J., Zervos, J., Zervos, M., Brar, I. Antimicrobial stewardship: Strategies for a global response. CHRISMED J Health Res 2014, 1(1): 4-10.
- Paul Kilgore, MD, MPH, Linda Kaljee, PhD, Christine Joseph, PhD, Bernard Gonik, MD, Emily Martin, PhD, Keith Kaye, MD, MPH, FIDSA, FSHEA, Weisong Shi, Ph.D., Carolyn Archer, MPH, Samia Arshad, MPH, John Zervos, J.D., Lois Lamerato, PhD, George Divine, PhD, Marc Zervos, MD and Michael Rybak, PharmD, MPH. Foundational Principles of Community-Based Participatory Vaccine Research. In Abstracts of the ID Week 2013 Conference, San Francisco, CA, October 2-6, 2013.
- Acute Febrile Illness (AFI) in Haiti, Etiology and Socio-Behavioral Pilot Study. Samia Arshad, MPH, Linda Kaljee, Ph.D., Paul Kilgore, MD, MPH, Carolyn Chan, BS, Tyler Prentiss, BS, Samantha Bruni, BS, Jennie Meier, BS, Adhnan Mohamed, BS and Marcus J. Zervos, MD. Presented at IDWeek 2013, San Francisco, CA.
- HFHS Epidemiologist Samia Arshad presents GHI research done in Haiti on BBC Health Check.
- John Zervos asks "Where are the Mosquito Nets in Haiti?" in the Huffington Post.
- On May 22, 2013, GHI hosted a “Global Health Day” with keynote address by Julie Gerberding, former head of the CDC, on emerging infectious diseases and global health.