Almost 29 million adults and children in the U.S. have diabetes, and another 86 million have pre-diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association.
If not managed properly, diabetes can lead to serious complications including heart and kidney disease, stroke and glaucoma. The Henry Ford Diabetes Self Management Education program teaches patients to manage their disease, leading to fewer complications and hospitalizations and reducing health care costs.
Benefits of Henry Ford Diabetes Self Management Education
We empower patients to take control of their health. Our Diabetes Self Management Education program offers:
- Improved Patient Outcomes: We help patients recently diagnosed with diabetes to achieve optimal HbA1c and LDL levels
- Prevention through Education: Our comprehensive class offerings teach patients with diabetes, pre-diabetes and gestational diabetes how to control their blood sugar levels and avoid serious complications
- Quality Recognition: Our program has State of Michigan Certification and American Diabetes Association (ADA) Recognition status
- Expert Instruction: Our instructors are Certified Diabetic Educators, which means they have specialized training and experience in diabetes management, prevention and pre-diabetes
Henry Ford Diabetes Care Center classes
Our Diabetes Self Management Education program holds classes at Henry Ford Diabetes Care Centers. The program consists of an hour-long individual health history and lifestyle assessment followed by up to 10 hours of interactive group classes. Our instructors are registered nurses and registered dietitians who are also Certified Diabetic Educators.
Our Diabetes Self Management Education classes cover the following topics:
- Overview of diabetes and its different types
- Testing blood sugar
- Recognizing and treating high and low blood sugar
- Understanding medications
- Managing a cold or flu
- Preventing long-term complications
- Adopting a healthy diet and physical activity
- Solving problems and setting realistic goals for a healthy life
- Keeping stress under control and coping with diabetes
We also offer:
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: A one-on-one class that teaches patients with diabetes how to control it through healthy food choices
- Gestational Diabetes Education: A three-hour class that teaches patients diagnosed with gestational diabetes how to prevent complications and ensure a healthy pregnancy through behavioral modification and blood sugar control
- PREventing DIABETES Workshop: A workshop offered every month for people who are at risk for developing diabetes or have pre-diabetes. Patients can register online. The $20 fee must be paid at the time of online registration.
Diabetes education performance measures
We collect data from our Diabetes Self Management Education program to improve outcome measures for patients. The information we track includes:
- HbA1c and LDL levels before and after the program
- Patient satisfaction
- Physician satisfaction
Learn more about how we use data to improve performance and patient outcomes with our Crimson Clinical Effectiveness Collaborative.
Eligibility and costs for diabetes education
Physicians can refer patients to our program by filling out the PDF Referral form and faxing the completed form in to (313) 874-9515. For more information, please call (313) 874-6347.
- Eligibility: All patients diagnosed with diabetes are eligible. All physicians, inside or outside Henry Ford Health System, are encouraged to refer.
- Insurance: Each insurance plan is different and it is suggested patients call their insurance to check on coverage of Diabetes Self-Management Education and Medical Nutrition Therapy. By calling (313) 874-6347, someone can help guide the patient on checking for coverage. The PREventing DIABETES workshop is $20 and must be paid online at the time of registration.