Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have an established business to apply?
- No, we welcome all aspiring entrepreneurs and innovators interested in Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice as it relates to the healthcare experience.
What is the grand prize?
- The grand prize will be $75,000 in-kind toward a project with HFHS to co-develop, pilot, and commercialize the winning technology. The winning concept will have access to HFHS subject matter experts, lab space, and clinical resources.
Can only companies in the United States apply?
- No, we are accepting applications from all around the world. See our Contest Rules page for more information.
Who is responsible for travel to the Final Event?
- Depending on the status of COVID-19 and regulations, the Final Event will be in-person. If the event is in-person, companies will be responsible for airfare and accommodations.
When are applications due?
- The first stage of application submissions are due June 24th.
Should I provide confidential/proprietary information on the application?
- No, please do not include confidential information on the application. See Contest Rules for more information.
How can I access the Google/Miracle Software Systems education offerings?
- Please see our Education page for a full list of offerings from Google and Miracle Software Systems.
What is my application being judged on?
- Applications will be judged on a number of areas including, but not limited to:
- Innovation and novelty of submission
- Clinical impact
- Impact on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice efforts
- Cost impact
- User appeal and potential for widespread adoption and scale
- Degree of development
- Usability and design
When will I be notified if I have moved onto the next round and how?
- Please see the Challenge Timeline page for the full schedule. All applicants will be notified of their standing via email from HFHS.
Will I lose my Intellectual Property (IP) rights by applying?
- No, applicants that participate have full access to education resources provided by Google, Miracle Software, and HFHS without concern of losing their IP rights and ownership. If a collaboration after the Challenge is developed with HFHS, then IP ownership will be discussed.
Is there any cost to apply or access to educational resources?
- No, the application and educational resources are free of cost.
What will I gain from this experience?
- Applicants will have the opportunity to learn about healthcare from a diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice perspective, and many of the issues health systems are facing nation-wide. Additionally, applicants will have access to a plethora of education resources and experts on creating new technologies from Google, Miracle Software Systems, and HFHS. Finally, participants will better learn how to generate ideas, validate them, and then develop them with the goal of commercialization and creating a new enterprise.
Why work with Henry Ford Hospital System?
- For over 100 years, HFHS has been a leader in high quality healthcare delivery and innovation. As a fully-integrated health system (including a wholly-owned payer) with 7 hospitals and over 120 ambulatory care sites, HFHS offers numerous resources such as access to lab space, data, and subject matter experts across a range of health areas that can be used in co-developing technologies.