Ventilator Weaning Program
The entire Henry Ford Allegiance Specialty Hospital team focuses on restoring our patients' optimal well-being, while decreasing their dependence on medical intervention, such as ventilators.
While assisting patients to breathe without a ventilator, we test for physical strength and tolerance levels to avoid further heart or breathing problems. Our treatment plans are based on each patient’s physical assessment, symptoms, disease stage and lab test results.
Ventilator Weaning Goals
Our team of professionals helps patients achieve the following goals in order to improve overall quality of life.
- Breathe without the use of a ventilator
- Live independent of artificial airways, such as a tracheostomy or endotracheal tube
- Become medically stable
- Swallow without impairment
- Move, walk and care for themselves with minimal assistance
- Learn more about their medical condition and how to treat it
- Achieve an optimal level of health and well-being