Pre-Med Student Experience
The pre-med student program is designed to provide hands-on, real-life experience to students currently enrolled in pre-med programs.
This program is offered two times a year, application deadlines and sessions are listed below, and selected students will work in the Emergency Room or on an inpatient unit at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. Students will be asked to commit to 100 volunteer hours within a six-month time period and will have an opportunity to work alongside some of the nation’s world-renowned healthcare professionals. Applications will re-open on April 22, 2019.
Once the application is received, applicants will be contacted to determine eligibility. Please make sure you have a reference letter and resume ready to send to the Volunteer Services office for review as once you are contacted you will be asked to supply both. Volunteers are required to commit to 100 hours in the designated 6 month time frame.
The program is offered twice a year:
- January – June
- July - December
- Must be a current College Pre-Med Student
- Must be able/willing to commit 100 hours in the designated 6 month time frame
- Be able to supply a professional letter of reference (can be from a professor, counselor or current/past employer)
- Once the application is received, you will receive an email with further documentation to complete and submit
- Once documentation is received a criminal background check will be conducted
- If selected as a candidate you will be schedule for an interview
- If chosen as a participant in the Henry Ford Hospital Pre-Med Program, you will be contacted to set up an orientation
If you have applied and/or have interviewed and are not selected
Please understand that a high volume of applications are received and only so many positions are available, so we must select applicants based on several factors. Not everyone will be selected for an interview and not everyone who interviews will be selected. It is an honor to have our community serve as volunteers at Henry Ford Hospital, but we only have so many opportunities available based on our department requests and needs. It is our #1 goal to find the most suitable applicants to create excellent experiences for our patients and guests. Secondly, it is our goal to create an engaging, fulfilling, and memorable experience for our volunteers and staff and to fill all available rotation positions.