The birth experience is exciting, scary, joyful and challenging, all at the same time. It is unique to each family and the Henry Ford Macomb Birthing Center focuses on what each patient needs to set the stage for one of life's miracle moments.
Jessica Riley of Chesterfield is an experienced mom with sons who are six and eight years old. Still, when little brother Brayden came along on Feb. 21, she said she felt comforted by the Birthing Center staff's attentiveness.
"There was constantly someone asking if I needed anything," she said. "If you called, someone was there right away. They were very helpful."
She said she was having a little trouble getting Brayden to eat at first. Together, she and a nurse educator were able to try a couple of ideas and figure out the trick to feeding Brayden with ease.
"Our physicians, nurses, educators and other staff all work hard to make sure our moms deliver with confidence in a way that is most comfortable for them. After delivery, we make sure all their questions and concerns are addressed," notes Judith Lafata, RN, Director of Women's & Children's Services.
Staff and physicians work with expectant moms to ensure their birth plan is followed. Some moms want epidural anesthesia to ease discomfort during labor and delivery while others wish to use complimentary methods of control pain such as birthing balls, hypnotherapy, Reiki or relaxation in Jacuzzi-style tubs. It is all available in a safe, comfortable environment.
The Center features:
- 17 private labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum rooms
- Physicians on the unit 24/7
- A new fetal monitoring system with state-of-the-art technology that provides a more sensitive reading of the baby's heartbeat. This helps physicians make the best care recommendations for mom and baby. It also allows for remote monitoring so that someone sees the monitor even when a nurse is not in the room.
- A special care nursery staffed by neonatologists and specially trained nurses with the ability to care for babies as young as 28 weeks or those who may need some extra assistance.
Advanced pediatric care close to home
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital's Pediatric Unit treats children with a variety of moderate to severe health issues ranging from respiratory difficulties and dehydration to injuries, infections and surgical cases.
The unit is specially designed for those patients who are infants through 18 years old. It is staffed by board certified pediatric physicians, pediatric hospitalists, pediatric certified nurses and other healthcare professionals who are trained and experienced in caring for children.
While clinical excellence is paramount, the comfort of children and families while they are in the hospital also is important. Along these lines, the unit includes:
- Newly renovated patient rooms
- A safe environment with video surveillance
- A playroom
- A prize box for bravery during tests or IV starts
- DVD players and movies
- Video game systems and games