- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties - Neurology
- Cornell University, NY, 1988
Residencies & Internships
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus, Neurology, NY, 1992
- New York Presbyterian Hospital -Columbia Campus, Internal Medicine, NY, 1989
William T. Gossett Endowed Chair of Neurology
Stephan A. Mayer, MD, FCCM, is Chair of Neurology for the Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, Michigan. Prior to that Dr. Mayer was Director of Neurocritical Care for the Mount Sinai Health System in New York. Prior to that he was Director of the Neuro-ICU and Professor of Neurology and Neurological Surgery at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, NY.
Dr Mayer earned his medical degree from Cornell University Medical College in New York City. He completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in critical care neurology at the Neurological Institute of New York, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. He is board certified in neurology, and was a founding member and is past-president of the Neurocritical Care Society.
Dr. Mayer has published more than 230 original research articles, books, 180 review articles, 340 abstracts, and written seven books, including the most recent edition of Merritt’s Textbook of Neurology. He was principal investigator of the FAST Trial, a worldwide multicenter clinical trial evaluating ultra-early hemostatic therapy for brain hemorrhage, and served as principal investigator of the NIH-funded New York Presbyterian Hospital hub of the Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) network. His work in helping victims of severe brain injury has been featured in the Wall Street Journal and the book Cheating Death, by CNN medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Acute ischemic stroke
- Status epilepticus
- Brain multi-modality monitoring
Awards and Honors:
- 2014 Lifesaver Award, American Heart Association, New York City Chapter
- 2011 12th Annual Terrance D. Capistrant Lecture, Saint
- Joseph’s Hospital, HealthEast Care System, St Paul, MN
- 2011 International Pan Arab Critical Care Medicine Society
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2007 Mintz Stroke Lecturer, Department of Neurology, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 2006 Elected as Fellow of the American College of Critical Care Medicine