Butternut Squash Soup from Generation with Promise
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes (Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small ancho chile*
- 2-12oz packages frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until soft.
- Toast chile in a sauté pan or over a direct flame. When soft, cut and remove seeds, tear or cut into pieces and add to onion.
- Add squash and stock to pot. Simmer soup for 20-30 minutes.
- Toss apple pieces with cinnamon and garnish soup with apple and pumpkin seeds.
- *1/2 teaspoon of ancho powder can be substituted, if used, combine with cinnamon.
Yield: 4 servings
- 219 Calories
1g Saturated Fat
Sodium varies depending upon broth
Excellent source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C