Cheesy Broccoli Corn Struedel
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded, part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 4 egg whites (slightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 ounce jar diced pimento, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 sheets 9 x 12-inch frozen phyllo pastry, thawed, divided
- Butter flavored vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper or foil. In a large bowl combine ricotta cheese, cream cheese and mozzarella. Add broccoli, corn, egg whites, green onion, pimento, basil and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
Place 4 sheets of phyllo pastry on a work surface (keep remaining pastry between dampened towels). Coat the phyllo with butter-flavored cooking spray and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of wheat germ. Top with 4 more phyllo sheets, coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoons wheat germ. Top with remaining 4 phyllo sheets; coat with cooking spray.
Spoon half of the cheese mixture lengthwise on the phyllo stack, leaving a 1-inch margin on long side and a 1-1/2 inch margin on short sides. Turn the ends to encase the filling. Roll in jelly-roll fashion, starting with the filling end. Place the seam side down, on prepared jelly-roll pan.
Repeat the entire procedure with the remaining phyllo sheets. Place alongside the other prepared strudel. Brush both with vegetable oil. Using a thin, sharp knife make diagonal slits about 1/4- inch deep, 2 inches apart, across top of both rolls. Bake at 45 minutes or until golden.. Remove from over. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 main course servings or 16 appetizer slices
- Fat=9 g
- Saturated fat=4.5 g
- Protein=18 g
- Cholesterol=25 mg
- Sodium=451 mg
- Carbohydrate=45 g
- Fiber=5.5 g
- Calories from Fat = 28%
Food exchanges: 1 meat, 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat