Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes (Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 onion half (not chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 8oz light (1/3rd less fat/Neufchatel) cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper-to taste
- 1 box whole wheat pasta
- In a medium-sized heavy bottom sauce pan, combine oil and flour.
- Stir until smooth and cook over medium heat about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly.
- Add bay leaf and onion.
- Cook over low to medium-low heat about 15 minutes.
- Remove onion and bay leaf.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Be sure to reserve about 1 cup of the pasta liquid when draining.
- Add both cheeses in small amounts, stirring frequently, until melted and creamy. If sauce is too thick, add small amounts of reserved pasta water.
- Add hot pasta right into cheese sauce.